Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need you advice, which one to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumides

I need your advice, which one to buy

hi guys
I'm zero to PIC and I need your quick advice coz tomorrow , my brother will buy some IC's ,our town are far from electronics center and the fair are almost the same as the price of single IC and this is the right time to buy PIC microcontroller.

I found their Product
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/alexan_prodlist2006.pdf
(pl 3 ,bottom left Pic microcontroller). I don't know which one to buy and I need your advice.

here are the reason why I need your help.
1. our country are limited to electronics component especially on microcontrolller, if is available it bit to high price.(can't afford :D )
2. Recently I bought Pic16c57c, my mistake , I don't know that was obsolete
and not supported with programmer. but still want to use it .

thats all for now.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi,
Since the PIC Microcontroller there is so limited, pick PIC16F628 and straight go to Nigel's tutorial.

If you can afford it, you might want to pick up a 16F877 as well because it has more IO pins for larger projects and an ADC. The 18F242 is also a good choice as it also has an ADC and MicroChip supports it with a free C compiler if you don't want to use assembly. Nothing wrong with the 16F628 either. It all depends on what you want to build.

I'm from the Phils. too, you can buy PIC microcontrollers at RS Components or Farnell, you'll get them delivered right at your doorstep.

Which one did you order? After the 16F628, your next micro should be one from the 18F family.

BTW, the 16C57 was my first micro from Microchip some...15 years?? ago

atferrari said:
Which one did you order? After the 16F628, your next micro should be one from the 18F family.

I did not online, brother had to buy it for me, BAD news store are close today :(

atferrari said:
BTW, the 16C57 was my first micro from Microchip some...15 years?? ago

yes , I saw it on datasheet dated around 1996. I buy it 2 weeks after, now my
problem, programmer for 16c57.

jumides said:
yes , I saw it on datasheet dated around 1996. I buy it 2 weeks after, now my
problem, programmer for 16c57.
It's an OTP device, isn't it? It's not recommended for beginners now, as modern PICs are flash-based and can be re-programmed a lot of times.

I definitely suggest that Jumides may preserve the OTP chip he bought for a future need after gaining adequate experience. it could be used in a project like a test equipmet or clock later. If the chip is tried to be used now, I fear he may end up losing it in a wong or irrelevent programming and then becomes a museam piece. Sorry, I am not trying to scare the O P.
It is preferable to use a flash versions and with nominal precautions, at least it wont be spoiled and will be useful for many experiments.

Last edited:
It's OTP, I've just checked on microchip.com. If you open the product folder, it's mentioned there.

If it has not a window, it's an OTP. Those with window have a J in the ID.

The programmer needed, (I still have it), is not available anymore.

When the OP gains experience will not even try to use it! Quite limited demanded lot of pirouettes with just TWO stack levels. Yes, two!

Keep it with as a souvenir and sell it in Ebay, in 30 years.

atferrari said:
If it has not a window, it's an OTP. Those with window have a J in the ID.

Windowed PIC's usually end in JW, and it's crucial NOT to set code protection, as that often renders the JW chip uneraseable.

The programmer needed, (I still have it), is not available anymore.

When the OP gains experience will not even try to use it! Quite limited demanded lot of pirouettes with just TWO stack levels. Yes, two!

Keep it with as a souvenir and sell it in Ebay, in 30 years.

Probably worth nothing even then, I struggled giving 200+ away a couple of year back - not quite sure of the exact model, but they were something similar, brand new in tubes.

jumides said:
I know 8086 assembly language not C, soon I will study it, You mentioned assembly , what's the differences between 8086/8088 assembly and PIC assembly ?
Well the 8086 has a von Neumann architecture where as the PIC has a Harvard architecture. The 8086 has more instruction opcodes than the 16F PIC's 35. The 16F PIC encodes all it's instructions in one word where as the 8086 can have varying length instruction words. I guess the only similar thing would be the 8086's segmented architecture and the PIC's bank switching. Both are annoying. :D
They are great little chips and once you get used to the RISC instruction set, you'll really enjoy using them.

my project to be

here' s my circuit and want to use Pic .

game timer.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back