Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need variable inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M

I'm working on a metal detector project and have run into a problem. It's all built except one part - a variable inductor (Miller #6196A), .054 millihenry to .5 millihenry powdered iron core. That's all I know about it.

I need two, or I need to know what kind of core form and how many windings are needed to make an equivalent part. Or if there is an equivalent available somewhere. I have searched the internet thoroughly with no luck.

I'm a beginner at building electronic projects, so I don't really understand the inductance formulas I've found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The project is from this website - http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Musee/3308/About/md_plans_ocr.pdf

I bought once a variable inductor though i didn't figure out how it worked, cause it was all bundled in a tiny case... I know this isn't much of use, but at least, put in mind that u can find variable inductors :lol: !

They are quite simple (and common), they have a metallic core which screws in and out - either iron dust (ferrite) or brass. Iron dust increases inductance, brass decreases it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back