Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need variable high voltage power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksquared

I'm trying to find a design sample for a simple variable high voltage power supply. I need 0 -> 600 volts DC at around 50 to 60 ma max. The supply is easy. The variable part has me searching. I have a design that uses a vacuum tube but I'd rather go with semiconductors. I have access to some rather large IGBTs if that helps. I'm building a capacitor leakage tester.

Variacs are great tools but I'm thinking of something along the lines of a semiconductor version of a subset of an old Sprague TO-6. Assume I have a rectifier that can supply 600vdc at up to 60ma or so. What I want to do is vary the output voltage from zero (or nearly zero) up to 600 volts with a pot. Regulation is not desired. A Variac seems a bit much for this app.

Although now that you have me thinking about it, perhaps someone makes small ones? A 0.5 amp Variac would be fine and not much bigger than a big pot. Hmm...

The smallest variac I've seen is 0.75A @ 230V

What's the mains voltage where you live?

If it's 230V, just put a diode voltage doubler after the variac to give you 0 to 253√2 = 716VDC (most variacs go up to the input voltage plus 10%).

Do you need isolation?

If so add an isolation transformer.

if you want isolation

If you regulate the 600V at 60mA with a series transistor, the maximum transistor power dissipation would be 36 watts. You would need to mount the transistor on a fairly large heatsink. You would also likely need to add some sort of short circuit protection to avoid zapping the transistor.

A variac (driving a high voltage transformer if needed) would seem to be the simplest approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back