Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to reduce sensitivity on microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilinski

I am not an electronics maven; that's why I'm here.

Here's my story. Motorcycle cb radios cost around $800, which is ridiculous. So I bought a Uniden 520XL to adapt to my bike. Everything works well, except the mic. I took apart the stock mic and moved the electret to a boom mounted on my close-face helmet. The mic is labeled as a "high impedance 1000 ohm" mic.

When I key the mic, it is so sensitive that it picks up everything...engine noise, etc. People on the receiving end say it's overpowering. So I was thinking about some way to reduce the output of the mic. Is that reasonable? I have spent many hours of many months doing internet research and found this site: http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/ . This is more technical than I can understand. But is this what needs to be done?

Then, I awoke this morning and remembered something about the whole microphone take-apart effort. I opened another Uniden mic to look. There is a horseshoe shaped chunk of metal that encircles most of the electret. There is a connection between the electret case (ground) and this chunk. Now I'm wondering if the mere existence of that metal was was providing some type of shield. When I moved the electret to my helmet, I tossed the metal horseshoe.

Can someone provide some enlightenment here? I've been at this cb project for more than a year. By now, I've probably spent more than $800 combined in parts, wire, time and aggravation. I would really like to close the book on this one. But I'd really like to make this CB work since I have so much in it already.

Can I add a couple of resistors to alleviate the sensitivity issue? What size? How wired (by the way, the electret gets its power directly from the radio)? Do I need to encircle the electret? Do, maybe, I need to wear a tinfoil hat when riding the bike?

No, you do not need to reduce the sensitivity nor attenuation pads.

The microphone assembly must be replaced with a 'noise cancelling' microphone assembly.
Or build one with two electrets; or use one of that type for cellular telephone hands-free operation and implement it in your helmet.

There is many on the market. A quick search shows this among many:
http://www.nextag.com/Plantronics-H...rices-html?nxtg=7e140a1c0530-D73B3B2BDBE40BF1

Miguel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back