Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to lower down voltage from power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

escin

i want to lower down the voltage from 13.8v to 8v. i already try using 33ohm 10watt resisitor,but the voltage is still the same,only the ampere got lower down.

You can make a voltage divider out of two resistors or a potentiometer.

Heres the formula to calculate the resistors values.

Voltage Out = (Voltage In) x R2/(R1+R2)

Since I don't know what value of resistors you have you can mess around with them and see which values you can use.

The 13.8v is the input voltage I don't know why I put it in the schematic but anyone else that would just be the voltage in value.

And ofcourse if you use a potentiometer you can make it variable.

Attachments

• voltagedivider.jpg
    voltagedivider.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 346
be carful uysing the voltage dividor method, because (as I discovered), as soon as you put a load accross the bottom resistor, it puts a resistance in parallel with the resistor, and changes the voltage completly.

Use a regulator, it will not have these problems, and will add a few extra nice features aswell :)

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back