Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to know how to build a charger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj107us

I need to know how to build a charger for a 3.6v 300mAh battery. I need the schematics for the charger for the battery.

If anyone has it send it to me please!
Thanks Jacob

First you must and we must find out which type of battery. A lithium battery will blow-up or catch on fire if charged with a Ni-Cad or Ni-MH charger.

If the battery is Ni-Cad or Mi-MH then it is easy to charge slowly. You didn't say anything about how long you want it to take to reach a full charge.

It is a nickel cadmium battery that goes in a telephone. How long will it need to charge, it don't matter 4-6 hours.

You want to charge your Ni-Cad battery at a fairly fast rate. Therefore your charger must have extra circuitry to detect the amount of charge remaining in the battery and to limit overcharge:
"Overcharge current must be limited to 1/20th of the battery's ma/hr rating" (Energizer's Ni-Cad Applications Manual).

Considerations:
1) It is nearly impossible to detect how much charge remains in a Ni-Cad battery. Therefore a discharge cycle is used in fast chargers, and each cell is discharged to about 0.9V each.
2) A regulated charging current and a timer are used in some fast battery chargers.
3) A temperature sensor and a pressure sensor are also used to cutoff charging when excessive.
4) A battery charger IC (Maxim) can be used to detect when a Ni-Cad battery is fully charged instead of a timer. Temperature and pressure sensors and a timer are still used as backups in case the IC misses detecting full charge.

Search Google for Ni-Cad Battery Fast Charger and you might find a circuit.

I just use a regulated voltage (sometimes just an unregulater wall-wart adapter) and a resistor to slowly charge my Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries. A cell is 0.9V when discharged by its work and rises to 1.45V when fully charged. I select the resistor and voltage source so that the charge current is about 1/10th the battery's ma/hr rating for most of the charge and the current reduces to about 1/40th when the battery is fully charged. It takes overnight (12 hrs) but the trickle-charge current can be left on indefinitely without damage, and the circuit is simple and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back