Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to know best IC for Woofer amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi baskar007,

you might want to take a look at the TDA2002.

It's frequency response is 40 to 15,000Hz. Power output is 8.5W at 14.4V supply voltage.

Boncuk

you might want to take a look at the TDA2002.

It's frequency response is 40 to 15,000Hz. Power output is 8.5W at 14.4V supply voltage.
That power is for a low impedance speaker . It's only about 3W with an 8 ohm speaker.

You can increase the power to about 11W max. if you use the dual amp bridge circuit as shown in Figures 23 and 24 of the Fairchild data sheet. The extra power capability will add good peak power capability and will not damage your speaker unless you overdrive it with too large a signal.

Edit: You can also use a one bridge amplifer such as the TDA7240A for the same 11W power output.

Last edited:
Thank you...

I think the TDA2002 is enough for me.........
Thank you friends.
Now i am going to market to buy a new TDa2002.... after build the circuit I'll post the response... thanks
3W max. is a pretty anemic value to drive a woofer. I think you may want more.

I don't think low power amplifier ICs are made anymore.
Digikey and Newark are the largest electronic parts distributors in North America and they do not list an old TDA2002.
Digikey has no stock for a TDA7240A and Newark say it is No Longer Available.

EDIT: The TDA2003 replaced the TDA2002 and has better specs. Digikey and Newark have thousands of them for a cost of $1.01 each. With a 12V supply its power at clipping into an 8 ohm speaker is only 2.5W.

Last edited:
i had made circuit using a tda2003 and it delivered only 2W power to my 60w 4ohm speaker on 12v supply!.. I recommend u TDA2030A which is the best ic n has 18W Output power n will work on 12v 2amp powersupply.. I still love my tda2030a based 5.1 hometheatre system which made by me 2 months ago with a plug and play USB mp3 decoder..

i had made circuit using a tda2003 and it delivered only 2W power to my 60w 4ohm speaker on 12v supply!
No.
The graph on the datasheet shows 4W at a horrible 10% of clipping distortion or about 3.2 at clipping.

I recommend the TDA2030A which is the best IC and has 18W Output power and will work on 12V 2amp powersupply.
But the output of a TDA2030A is 18W at clipping into 8 ohms only when its power supply is its absolute max voltage of 44V. It will probably overheat. With a 32V supply it produces 18W into 4 ohms with some clipping.
On its datasheet its graphs do not show how low is its output power with a supply as low as 12V. Probably only 2W or less into 8 ohms.

Help from hum

No.
The graph on the datasheet shows 4W at a horrible 10% of clipping distortion or about 3.2 at clipping.

But the output of a TDA2030A is 18W at clipping into 8 ohms only when its power supply is its absolute max voltage of 44V. It will probably overheat. With a 32V supply it produces 18W into 4 ohms with some clipping.
On its datasheet its graphs do not show how low is its output power with a supply as low as 12V. Probably only 2W or less into 8 ohms.

Hello uncle $crooge

can you find me a way to get rid of the horrible hum of my power amp? I tried to ground the (-) wire to chasis and every ground pins of pots and i could control the hum at a limit! But now i want to get rid of from the "very HORRIBLE" "DUPP" Sound from my sub.wfr when turn on my amp and from a low frequency of hum! Is there any way to get rid of frm those problems? Thanx

can you find me a way to get rid of the horrible hum of my power amp? I tried to ground the (-) wire to chasis and every ground pins of pots and i could control the hum at a limit!
Hum can come from a poorly filtered transformer and rectifier power supply, or from unshielded input cables.

But now i want to get rid of from the "very HORRIBLE" "DUPP" Sound from my sub.wfr when turn on my amp
It uses a single polarity power supply so it has three capacitors that charge when it is turned on. If the input capacitor charges faster than the other capacitors then there will be a POP sound. The datasheet says that the input capacitor should have a value of 2.2uF.

thanx for reply uncle $crooge

looks like my dual powersupply is well filtered and has two 25v 2200uf capacitors thus the problem may not be with the powersupply moreover my subwoofer amplifier iCs are two tda2030a in bridge mode and has a horrible hum when i try to listen music in low volume, but there is no hum through the front and right speakers! so can u please suggest me an idea for these problems? Btw i think there is no negative supply out to sub.woofer as it is in bridge mode, am i right? And the surround circuit i made now is very sensitive! It amplifies even very low frequency signals so i use two 15w little speakers and ofcourse it doesn't make as much as hums like those big 8ohm 60w speakers do! So i think adding a pair of 10uf capacitors in the inputs of that tl072 based surround circuit may help me to decrease its sensitivity! Am i ryt? And Sorry for my bad english and so many questions.. I expect more help from you as u are a very experienced guy in audio field ..thanx

The bridged TDA2003 amplifier shown on the datasheet from National Semi has an error. The trimpot must have a resistor in series that is much higher than the 1 ohm that is shown. The trimpot must be adjusted so the output DC voltage from each amplifier is exactly the same (at about half the supply voltage) so there is no high DC current in the speaker. A high current might cause hum.

If the input to the sub-woofer amplifier is not shielded audio cable then the wires will pickup mains hum from the air.

The surround sound circuit in your other thread has a gain of only 1 so it is not sensitive. The bridged TDA2003 amplifier has a voltage gain of 200 which is very high. It needs an attenuator on its input.

I don't know how you will connect a pair of 10uF capacitor to the input of the surround sound circuit. If they are in series with the 100k input resistors then they will not decrease the levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back