Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to ID "oil" in rear projection tv lens' (3) I repurposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldRush

Hello All,
I Need to ID the "oil" I extracted from a rear projection tv lens' (3) that I repurposed for the huge Fresnel "Lens" and nice set of 3 magnifying lenses and various and sundry parts.
Any rear screen fixers out there?

The article refers to "glycol," which typically refers to a class of compounds of which ethylene glycol used to be and maybe still is the most common commercial example.

However, with growing concerns about toxicity of ethylene glycol, it is being replaced in many applications with propylene glycol or glycerin.

The three compounds (propylene glycol, ethylene glycol, and glycerin) are hard to tell apart for the DIY'er. They each taste sweet and are miscible in water. Propylene glycol and ethylene glycol are usually colored to help distinguish them for different uses.

If the oil in your projector is soluble in water, and you need something that is not colored, I would suggest you consider glycerin. If the oil is not soluble in water, which seems unlikely, then getting its refractive index would help identify it.

John

Thanks jpanhalt and nsaspook:
1. The fluid has a very very slight yellow tint.
2.The info mentions "corrosive", my idea is to put 1 drop on steel next to 1 drop H2O to see corrosive quality and evaporation speed.
But if I am not mistaken isn't 1 of them "anti freeze" [propylene or ethylene] ???
I estimate the RP TV was >7yrs old. Is this a clue to type of glycol?

Glycerin I am fairly sure is non toxic as it is used (by me) to put stuff through rubber stoppers, to make home made bubble mix too, etc..

John , I just collected it as a repurposing/recycling endeavor to get the other parts to "play" with. I have no intent to fix the "thrown to the curb" RP TV that has been taken apart last summer and gone to recycle heaven :)

Any more input is welcome!

2.The info mentions "corrosive", my idea is to put 1 drop on steel next to 1 drop H2O to see corrosive quality and evaporation speed.

That might be a fun experiment, but if you are not trying to actually duplicate the fluid, why do it? You didn't mention it was corrosive earlier. That seems a bit odd considering the application, I suspect it may have something to do with the definition of corrosive required for labeling, their reactivity while hot or with certain metals, and products formed in the presence of water. All three will absorb water. I believe ethylene glycol is the most easily oxidized of the three and gives acidic products. Out of interest, you might add a piece of raw (not anodized) aluminum to your test.

But if I am not mistaken isn't 1 of them "anti freeze" [propylene or ethylene] ???
I estimate the RP TV was >7yrs old. Is this a clue to type of glycol?

All three can be used for antifreeze. Presently, it is more common to use ethylene glycol and propylene glycol for antifreeze. Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are often different colors in the US, to distinguish which should be used for which approved use.

While glycerin is more expensive and has a higher freezing point than the two glycols, I suspect it would be more easily obtained as an optically clear, colorless liquid for the lay public. Glycerin is non-toxic and for that reason may become more commonly used as an antifreeze in more moderate climates.

John

Who and why?

They each taste sweet

I always wonder who and why dared to taste things like these.

When studying Anatomy I recall the textbook mentioning characteristics of the urine: color, smell and ... taste. Yes, survival is a hard thing.

That might be a fun experiment, but if you are not trying to actually duplicate the fluid, why do it?
John
I just wanted to ID it, not duplicate it, so I though of a corrosive test vs H2O and vinegar on steel and yes I was going to use naked aluminum too I just didn't post it
You didn't mention it was corrosive earlier.
John
No, the web articles mentioned corrosive, I actually thought it was a silicone type oil.
That seems a bit odd considering the application, I suspect it may have something to do with the definition of corrosive required for labeling, their reactivity while hot or with certain metals, and products formed in the presence of water. All three will absorb water. I believe ethylene glycol is the most easily oxidized of the three and gives acidic products. Out of interest, you might add a piece of raw (not anodized) aluminum to your test.
John
Thanks, I like that you think on a higher level, as do I.
All three can be used for antifreeze. Presently, it is more common to use ethylene glycol and propylene glycol for antifreeze. Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are often different colors in the US, to distinguish which should be used for which approved use.
John
Based on other research I have done its starting to look like ethylene.
While glycerin is more expensive and has a higher freezing point than the two glycols, I suspect it would be more easily obtained as an optically clear, colorless liquid for the lay public.
John
It is, and I have some in my med cabinet.
Glycerin is non-toxic and for that reason may become more commonly used as an antifreeze in more moderate climates.
John
Interesting, but I'm sure that's an expensive choice!
Oh and to Nigel from the UK, Here in my neck of the woods I try to be a leader [by example] to folks in my town to repurpose or 100% recycle, so "chucking it out" is verboten for me.
I think I might add it to my radiator, just kidding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back