Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to change circuit from 12V to 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalMacDude

Need snubber circuit to protect the logic components.

I'm using a DTMF Decoder kit from Ramsey Electronics
( h**p://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c...=action&key=TT7 )
to sense touch tones from an audio channel. I used it to drive relays to trigger pneumatic solenoid valves, for a halloween project! Apparently the EMF from the coil turning off was blowing the big chip in the kit.

I have a new circuit design, replacing the mechanical relays with optoisolators triggering solid state circuitry (FET) to power the coils. When the TT7 kit's DTMF decoder 5V output pin goes low, the signal is sent through a 30ft. Cat5 cable to the optoisolater, which triggers the IRF830 MOSFET.

My question is that I am concerned that the snubber circuit in this schematic may not be enough to protect everything. I was reading that a good strategy is to channel the energy to a capacitor, then discharge it through a resistor.

I'm not sure how to do that, or if it is best, or what values of components would work.

Can anyone draw in an effective snubber circuit for me?

I will use one of these circuits for each item controlled, and one device I need to control is a 24V coil. The FET has a max gate voltage of ±20V, and with the 24V supply, I'm afraid it will blow. How can I drop that voltage to the gate?

Here's my current circuit design. Any help would be very much appreciated:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Add another 1k resistor in series with the collector of the opto-isolator transistor. Then the gate gets 12V if the supply is 24V.

Excellent! Thanks (that was my first plan, but I wasn't sure . . .) :)

Tested it - Works great!
Thanks!

Now, anybody have a snubber circuit suggestion?
I just want to make sure this thing doesn't quit on me!

Last edited:
Yes, but where do you need a snubber?

The diode wired in reverse parallel with the solenoids is more than good enough.

Really!? I have seen opinions in both directions.

Some say there is no snubber here and that there should be. The load is a strong industrial pneumatic valve. Last year, without the optoisolater, my logic circuit was getting blown. I had to keep replacing IC's! So I'm a bit paranoid!
I hope you're right!

Any other opinions, please?

There is a snubber here; the diode is performing this function.

Pulse rated for the same current at the solenoids. Think about it, when the current is interrupted is continiues to flow through the diode for a short time. Providing the diode can carry this current for a short length of time it will be fine.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back