Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Suggestions for buying a new Multi Meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I need a meter that reads frequency, capacitor and impedance.

I need to wind a 9 turn 2 uh RF coil and know what I have. I need to know the frequency with a capacitor connected in parallel.

I need to wind my own 2mh choke coil with #12 wire ? number of turns on a 25mm ferrite donut. Winding 1 turn at a time on a toroid I need to know when it is 2mh.

I have an assortment of capacitors many values are not readable. I need to test them with a meter.

I was considering buying a WAVETEK 27XT but they have design problems and are no longer being manufactured.

Ebay and Google search not showing much I need to know company brand names, anyone have any suggestions???????????????

Last edited:
I need a good meter in my price range does anyone have any suggestions???????????????

And that price range would be?

There are plenty of good LCR meters out there depending on what your price range is. Companies like ExTech and B&K Precision come to mind for inexpensive hand held units in the US. As to frequency I would just get a seperate small frequency counter. You don't mention a frequency range?

Ron

There are some wide ranging requirements here, and I am not sure that they would be measured by the average (or even exceptional) multimeter.

I need to wind a 9 turn RF coil and know what I have. I need to know what frequency is with a capacitor connected in parallel.

A 9 turn coil sounds like the inductance will be in nano-Henries, I dont think that any multimeter will measure that.
Measuring the resonant frequency of that coil with a parallel capacitor, sounds like a job for an RF signal generator and some kind of an RF voltmeter. The coil I have in my mind would resonante in the 10s of megahertz region.

JimB

And that price range would be?

There are plenty of good LCR meters out there depending on what your price range is. Companies like ExTech and B&K Precision come to mind for inexpensive hand held units in the US. As to frequency I would just get a seperate small frequency counter. You don't mention a frequency range?

Ron

I need some company names to search for. Not much coming up on ebay and not much on google search without brand names. I looked at Fluke but only thing I see so far cost $1500.

I need some company names to search for. Not much coming up on ebay and not much on google search without brand names. I looked at Fluke but only thing I see so far cost $1500.
ExTech, BK Precision come to mind in addition to Fluke as you mentioned and Keysight (the new Agilent formerly HP) also come to mind. For what you mention I don't see a one size fits all turn key handheld solution. I also don't see an inexpensive solution. :(

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back