Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need suggestion for timer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkwhisperer

I'm setting up my own PC, with Port Multipliers, to run 20 Hard Drives. There will be two seperate power supplies, 1 for the machine components, another for the hard drives themselves. Now the issue is that the most power draw for a hard drive is when it starts up. And having 20 drives starting up creates a lot of power draw. So my hope is to stagger the startup of the drives. I have a switch to turn the Power Supply on without a motherboard. I need a 4-way timer, where each part will allow power through 5 seconds after the previous one. So PSU powers up, channel 1 powers up, wait 5 seconds, channel 2, wait 5 seconds, channel 3, wait 5 seconds, channel 4.

Im hoping that there is a solution that I can buy rather than build, as I have never done anything like that before. However, if theres a guide, Im willing to give it a shot. All help is much appreciated.

I'm setting up my own PC, with Port Multipliers, to run 20 Hard Drives. There will be two seperate power supplies, 1 for the machine components, another for the hard drives themselves. Now the issue is that the most power draw for a hard drive is when it starts up. And having 20 drives starting up creates a lot of power draw. So my hope is to stagger the startup of the drives. I have a switch to turn the Power Supply on without a motherboard. I need a 4-way timer, where each part will allow power through 5 seconds after the previous one. So PSU powers up, channel 1 powers up, wait 5 seconds, channel 2, wait 5 seconds, channel 3, wait 5 seconds, channel 4.

Im hoping that there is a solution that I can buy rather than build, as I have never done anything like that before. However, if theres a guide, Im willing to give it a shot. All help is much appreciated.

A typical HDD on spin-up has a combined inrush surge current of about 1 amp using 12 volt and 5 volt power. Any decent supplemental PSU should handle that without a problem. Just invest in a good single 12 volt rail PSU for your auxillary PSU.

Port multipliers are an economical solution but if I were building a system with 20 HDDs I would be thinking a few good SATA controllers with onboard processing. Much more expensive but at 20 HDDs assuming good quality HDDs you are looking at about $100 per drive for a 2K total. Why skimp on controllers?

If you really want to do this I would likely look to using a 555 timer chip in a free running 1 Hz (1 second) mode driving a decade counter like a 4017 and have those outputs toggle a 7474. There is more but that would be a start. You want to sequentially turn on HDDs so you want a sequential setup that will do that. Not real difficult but a waste of time.

My workststion PC which is pretty loaded has 10 HDDs and the entire mess, including the dual Xeon processors boots fine and runs off a single dedicated workstation PSU rated for 750 Watts. A few years old now it has 500 GB drives and never a problem. Also, my mass storage is configured in RAID 5 arrays using an Intell controller card for 6 drives and 4 driven off the motherboard. Never a problem on spin-up.

Ron

I'm not sure that a PC would like having a hard drive turn on when it isn't expecting the hard drive to turn on. Have you tried seeing how RAIDs are handled? That being said, I would expect your average power supply to be able to handle 20 hard drives if it isn't running a processor and video card.

Its good to see what the actual numbers are behind HDD power-ups. People say its of concern to have that many HDD's spinup at once, but from what you say, I think the PSU manage. The idea of using a single rail PSU didnt occur to me, thanks for that :)

My main aim is to have a large amount of consolidated storage with redundancy. Access speed is not a factor, and PM's are much cheaper than SATA Controllers. Initially I will start with 5 drives, and scale up as I can afford it, so its not a huge investment upfront. Indeed, the 20 drives are the largest cost of the system.

Thanks for the response :)

Its good to see what the actual numbers are behind HDD power-ups. People say its of concern to have that many HDD's spinup at once, but from what you say, I think the PSU manage. The idea of using a single rail PSU didnt occur to me, thanks for that :)

My main aim is to have a large amount of consolidated storage with redundancy. Access speed is not a factor, and PM's are much cheaper than SATA Controllers. Initially I will start with 5 drives, and scale up as I can afford it, so its not a huge investment upfront. Indeed, the 20 drives are the largest cost of the system.

Thanks for the response :)

Yeah, I have done my share of current at spinup testing and rest assured I never saw a drive peak at over an amp of combined 5 & 12 volt power. Also, for only mass stroage I see the benifit of the lower cost route. Personally I would run a pair of HDDs in RAID 1 off the motherboard controller directly then add your mountain. :)

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back