Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some infos about this particular transformer please !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

I have a welding machine that contains a little transformer going directly to a relay that allows the voltage to pass through the SMPS to the main board then to the DC transformers directly to the + and - outputs of the welder .
Now as soon as i turn the machine on i don't hear any relay clicking , that's why i want to check it , i am just wandering what is the safest input voltage i should put in ?? and should it be DC or AC , just to avoid any damage on the transformer ( if its still good ).
Here is the transformer :
**broken link removed**

And the thing that i don't quite understand is how could that relay be energized if there is already no voltage attenuation to the card containing the transformer

Last edited:
ALL transformers only work on AC - and in this case it's a switch-mode transformer.

However, it's VERY rare for such transformers to fail, it's far more common for the SMPSU itself to fail.

ALL transformers only work on AC - and in this case it's a switch-mode transformer.

However, it's VERY rare for such transformers to fail, it's far more common for the SMPSU itself to fail.

Thanks Nigel for this , here is little description of the situation .

The unit i got is a 200A welder : it has a SMPS card containing inputs for mains and 6 470 uF electrolytic caps and two power rectifiers , this card has two connections , 1 for rectified mains going to the PWM motherboard that has also an output for another card containing 3 transformers (EER43x15 21:4) that are finally delivering current to the outputs of the welder .
The second connection is for the(24 v dc ) relay , but this one is an input that comes from the PWM motherboard it self .

Any ideas on what could be stopping the relay from being energized ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back