Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help with a current regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_blue

Hey guys,

I'm working on a project right now that requires the use of a case positive component(Laser diode).

Since this project is going to be housed in a metal tube, I figured that I could simply reverse the battery so that the metal body would be positive. However, the problem is the current regulation circuit. Most current regulators(LM317 for instance) regulate the positive going into the device. Are there such regulators that regulate from the negative side?

Any help would be appreciated

Sure us a LM337, it's a negative regulator. If your project is the only load on the battery or powersupply, the positive requlator will still be okey. It doesn't matter if you current regulate the + or the - lead, as the current will be regulated.

Sure us a LM337, it's a negative regulator. If your project is the only load on the battery or powersupply, the positive requlator will still be okey. It doesn't matter if you current regulate the + or the - lead, as the current will be regulated.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that there is a designated space inside the case(just under the head section of the laser diode) for the driver circuit. Most lasers use the body as a negative and the driver circuit fits between the laser diode and the batteries. I'm planning to use the body as positive by reversing the batteries and using a negative side regulator.

This should work.

Attachments

• current sink.PNG
    current sink.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back