Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some help with a chop saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iits probobly high watege.i wod say from 500W to 1200W

An car batery may have problems suplying that much power.

5$ per one cut!?!What are they doing 1 nm acuracy or somting.Thsese guys are realy money hogs.

In Merkur (Thats the closest playce to get metal) You just show the guy which pece of metal you want and tell him what lengths to cut it and you have to pay only for the how much metal you brought.(Yea he dose it for free)

How about puling an extension cord from home.(LOL just kiding)

They certanly wodnt let you plug your saw in one of there outlets.

Meaby if you have an truck batery whith you(Those can suply considerebly more than an car batery)But then you may have problems finding an powerful enugh inverter.

Ive sen 100W - 800W inverters evryware.Try to find out how much power the saw needs

An simple and cheap alternative wod be you bring along an hand saw for metal(but you will need afuly a lot of time to saw trough a cuple of 1 cm iron beams)

its 1800 watts, likely to kill off your battery pretty quick with heavy use.

it says 120 V @ 15 amps, now you do the math if you think i'm fooling.

manual hacksaw, they're good if you want fore arms like popeye.

pike said:
its 1800 watts, likely to kill off your battery pretty quick with heavy use.

it says 120 V @ 15 amps, now you do the math if you think i'm fooling.

manual hacksaw, they're good if you want fore arms like popeye.

NO NO NO NO

with the thick steel i buy (1/8" tops) a hand saw wont cut it

im going to see another steel supply place this week as well

i have been told that any new guy that come into the supply will get charged to the max but after you come back a few times and get to know the guy there he'll lay off a bit and start charging less.

i think that will happen quick

i told him to make all the pieces 9 feet but then i cant back to the shop and said "it aint gunna fit in my car, we'll have to take 2 feet off each piece."

he said sure and it would normally be $15 for 3 cuts but he decided to only charge for 2 cuts ($10)

overall i ended up spending close to $70 that day, all on cuts, 40 feet angle iron, and 17 feet square tubeing

i bit high for my taste but it sure beats the small steel and high prices at homedepot and lowes

what about one of those protable bandsaws
they cant draw 15 amps right?

ill look one up

ok now im thinking different tools

Cordless Reciprocating Saw
Corded Reciprocating Saw
cordless portable bandsaw
corded portable bandsaw

im leaning towards the battery tools and ive heard good from skil (sp?) brand tools and have seen the power of their Cordless Reciprocating Saw

battery could be my best bet here as i would not have to buy a power supply or anything

what do you guys think?

Definitly the rechargeable "sawzall" or reciprocating saw. I would be lost without my DeWalt. You can get pretty agressive blades that will cut through just about anything. I can cut 4 x 4 x 1/4 A36 steel angle in under 1 minute with a good blade and a squirt of cutting oil.

Ive used a battery powered sawsall to cut through the kind of steel that they use for horsre corrals. It cut through that steel like butter with a metal cutting blade. Im sure you wouldnt have any trouble using that, although you might want to use some oil so the blade doesnt get so hot.

Most places I've been to won't let you use a torch. Several reasons, like they don't know if you know what youre doing, or you spray slag all over the place and set the joint on fire, yourself on fire, etc, etc.

The place I deal with either delivers if it is enough weight, or if not and I have to go get it, I bring the rechargeable sawzall.

Never had a problem with a sawzall, if I want 3 feet off a length, he says " go ahead, let me know when youre done. Worst you can do is cut yourself, and thats you're problem :D"

BTW, I do use a torch ( affectionately called the "gas-axe" ) and weld almost everyday at work, so I agree, a torch is much faster on heavy material, but for most people it's not as generally usefull as a sawzall.

Well if ya buying steel from a scrap yard why not buy 1 ton of it and get a local transport mob to get it home for you. That what I generally do and it only costs $65 to get it home and thats nearly a 100 kms away. The last lot I got weighed up around 2 1/2 ton which cost $100 and $65 to get it home sure makes cheap steel.

Cheers Bryan :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back