Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help reading a schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

compunerdy

I want to build the battery tab welder as described here
https://www.philpem.me.uk/elec/welder/

I am trying to locate all the parts I need via his schemtaic located here
**broken link removed**

I need help figuring out the resistor values as far as wattage requirements. Also I am not sure about c1,c2,c3,c4,vr1

I think I have the rest figured out.

Tim

hi m8 1quater watt ress should be ok there only limmiting current to trani bases you should get components from maplins or get em off ebay. regards

Thanks..I have pretty much all of the components figured out now.

Now the second part I need help with is undertanding all of Vin,grounds etc. I would figure you just need pos/neg but then again I am probably just not smart enough to undertsand this schematic fully. Can anyone give me a dumbed down version of this schematic..maybe a pop-up book =) Seriously, I really would like to build one of these but I dont want to make my hair stand up on end trying to hook it all up. If someone could make up a schematic more easy to follow I would be glad to pay for it.

I am probably just not smart enough to undertsand this schematic fully
You probably are cleaver enough to understand it, you probably just don't have enough knowledge yet to understand it. Perhaps you should attempt a simpler project before you build this.

Last edited:
I got someone off the boards to explain it to me and it makes sense now. What confused me was the multiple power connections and grounds. What I didnt realize is that it was just showing where the 2 circuits tie into eachother.

I redid the schematic in omnigraffle so it's a little easier to read for those interested. Let me know if there are any mistakes.

Attachments

• Battery Welder.jpg
    Battery Welder.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
Very cool.. just a few things missing

IC2 is 7805 not 1805

IC1 label is missing

SCR1 label is missing..and I think it should be drawn so that the lower schematic ties directly into SCR1 and not just in the line as I know SCR1 has 3 prongs. But I could be wrong.

I think thats it.

Oh I see now. It's fixed. (I think - is SCR's label correct, I can't read the guy's writing?) I mistook it for a regular diode. Apparently it's silicon controlled rectifier, something I'd never heard of.

Can 1/6th of a Joule really weld batteries together?

These are very impressive spot welds,
**broken link removed**

Ahhh, just noticed on the link above that the author used a bank of 5 x 120,000uF capacitors. Not 120uF as shown in the diagram above. That ups the energy to 187 Joules. Far more believable.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back