Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Rotary Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

trmccoy70

I am trying to incorporate a DB25 Switch into a Fireworks firing panel and am looking for the correct rotary switch. I purchased a 4-way DB25 switch box and am in the process of transferring this to the firing panel but would like to just buy the switch if possible for future builds or even find a 6-way switch. The one I am currently working with has 3 poles per deck, 9 decks, and 4 positions. I cannot find a similar rotary switch for a reasonable price given that I can buy a complete switch box for about 25 dollars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have also seen push button switch boxes, what type of push button is used to switch 25 wires from one DB25 to another? Ultimately I would like to have a rotary rated for at least 5 amps (capacity not switching).

I am trying to incorporate a DB25 Switch into a Fireworks firing panel and am looking for the correct rotary switch. I purchased a 4-way DB25 switch box and am in the process of transferring this to the firing panel but would like to just buy the switch if possible for future builds or even find a 6-way switch. The one I am currently working with has 3 poles per deck, 9 decks, and 4 positions. I cannot find a similar rotary switch for a reasonable price given that I can buy a complete switch box for about 25 dollars. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have also seen push button switch boxes, what type of push button is used to switch 25 wires from one DB25 to another? Ultimately I would like to have a rotary rated for at least 5 amps (capacity not switching).

I can only relay some experiance with DB25 switch boxes from several I purchased at work over the years. First it is not always easy to find switch specifications on these boxes. A few do switch all 25 contacts but many only wire the commonly used signals (RD/SD/DTR/DSR/CTS/DSR/RI, etc.). Also these kinds of switches would never be rated for 5 amps, that would be just overspecification for the orginal application of these DB25 switch boxes were intended for.

You might consider searching E-bay if you only need one as I've seen many special purpose switches avalible. Wouldn't help if you needed many but if only need one then you might luck out with a surplus switch from some industrial application. Again 5 amps with that many contact positions is not a common application.

Lefty

The one I am working with switches all 25 wires and I am sure the rating is well below 5 amps(that was unrealistic). The switch boxes are used quite a bit in firing systems to turn 10 Cue panels into 40 Cue panels. The system I am working with right now turns 1.5 volts into 300 volts by Capacitive Discharge but does not mention the amp load. I think I will just purchase switch boxes and take them apart to accomplish what I am looking for; seems to be the most cost effective approach. I am surprised that I cannot find a match for the switch in the box I am working with, it would have to be a relatively inexpensive switch given that the boxes are so cheap. Thanks for the info.

". . .3 poles per deck, 9 decks, and 4 positions. . ."

Offhand, I'm thinking a few switches and a lot of logic gates can do this function and the ULN series darlington ICs can drive heavy loads.
This would be a few bucks for parts and a lot of soldering.

You have an input/output truth table for this box?

Last edited:
Rotary Switch

I do not have a truth table and you are quickly getting outside of my knowledge base. The current rotary switch has 25 common wires from the input DB25 wired to the 3 poles in a 9-8-8 pattern. Pole 1 has 1 wire per deck for 9 decks and so on to terminate all 25 wires. The other pins on the rotary are the 4 other DB25 locations in the same 9-8-8 pattern. My main firing panel has 10 outputs (in pairs) and 5 grounds to make up the 25 pins and I want to switch those between 4 or more DB25 cables. Essentially I want to take 25 input wires and switch them to 4 to 6 different locations in groups of 25. Not sure if this clears anything up on how to use switches and IC's to mimic the rotary switches but hopefully gives a better idea of what I am trying to do. Thanks for your help

Essentially I want to take 25 input wires and switch them to 4 to 6 different locations in groups of 25.

So you want a 4P25T or 6P25T switch.
Doesn't sound like building it with logic gates is worth it. Maybe you could use several microprocessors but you'd still need 6x25=150 Darlington drivers. The parts cost might exceed $25 and the assembly and debugging would be a lot of hours.

You might get stepper relays from telco surplus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepping_switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back