Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need project ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

shosh

I need to design a circuit with these specs
min 5 - ic chips (>14 pin)
and 25 components.

I need to fit these onto a 5' x 3' board. it has to be a digital circuit that i can prototype on a breadboard then fabricate to pcb. my previous idea was rejected and need to find a new one pronto.

unfortunately, most of the circuit diagrams ive spent hours scouring through use less than 5 ic chips as everything is done by microcontroller.

How about an electronic dice?

I think you need to think about what you want and take it from there. You cannot seriously ask a question like that....c/w I want to write a computer program. Any ideas?

Please post your previous idea and let the wider community explain why it was rejected.

i realize the ambiguity of my question. what a really wanted to build was a function generator. most of the generators i've seen has everything done practically on a single chip. the problem was i need to expand it to 5 ic chips

i realize the ambiguity of my question. what a really wanted to build was a function generator. most of the generators i've seen has everything done practically on a single chip. the problem was i need to expand it to 5 ic chips

build a PFC power supply that puts out a few hundred watts

Build a counter with a multi-digit 7-segment display. The more digits the more chips.

Shosh,

A BNC Connector would do the job for that, BNC's are often used in spectrum analyzers and Oscilloscopes due to the High frequency capability of the Coaxial Leads (able to have signals upto 3GHz I believe).

Not that it's an issue but who is imposing the IC count rule? Seems a little odd to me.

Hope this Helps,

Owen.

not enough ICs, thats why.

I think i found something to work on
**broken link removed**

problem is, im not sure what the appropriate input jack i should use.

uggh, seems like the 4583 dual schmitt trigger is discontinued,
please tell me there's a good place to find one of these, or at least a replacement.

Shosh,

A BNC Connector would do the job for that, BNC's are often used in spectrum analyzers and Oscilloscopes due to the High frequency capability of the Coaxial Leads (able to have signals upto 3GHz I believe).

Not that it's an issue but who is imposing the IC count rule? Seems a little odd to me.

Hope this Helps,

Owen.

its a fab class, so its a requirement for 5 ics

Last edited:
Shosh,

I can't help as to a replacement for the 4583, I never seen one or used one, so I can't help with that I'm afraid.

However, I agree with alec_t, a system with seven segment displays is a good bet. Perhaps something that displays a time interval between two switches.

I did a project mainly using a PIC once based on this, but it is entirely possible to create the same overall effect with shift registers and a bit of Logic, that will easily fufill the specification.

You could of course create a complex logical function such as a multibit Multiplexer, a string of Full Adders with some form of display output,

Just chucking thoes ideas into the ether.

Sorry I'm not much use on the 4583 issue.

Fab Class sounds interesting, are you going to have to create and solder a PCB?

Owen.

uggh, seems like the 4583 dual schmitt trigger is discontinued,
please tell me there's a good place to find one of these, or at least a replacement.
Just use another 555 timer as a schmitt trigger inverter (pins 2&6 as the input, pin 3 as the output). You can use 2x 555 instead of the 556 also if you need to increase the IC count.

Last edited:
Dougy83,

From my reading of the 4583 its not just a dual schmitt trigger, its got some extra logic in it as well, on the circuit diagram of the frequency counter the 4583 has pins 5, 6 and 7 connected, How that changes the chip operation I don't know as I've never used it.

I'm reading the datasheet, and to be fair am struggling to see the point of a 4583!! makes me wonder why put it into the cirucit if you automatically disable its functionality down to a schmitt trigger, when you could have got a simpler schmitt trigger IC....

That is though may I say a clever alternative!!

You learn something new everyday eh?

Cheers,

Owen.

The 4583 is a dual monostable (I only just looked it up), although it has schmitt trigger inputs. The connection of pins 6 &7 together seems a little destructive (complementary outputs Q & /Q).

Anyway, the suggestion of the 555 as a schmitt trigger requires R2 to connect from the 9V supply rather than the 5V supply (as the 555 switching points are 3V & 6V)

If you want Schmitt triggers there's always the CD4093 (quad Schmitt NAND) or CD40106 (hex Schmitt inverter).

I initially found it odd that you had to use a certain number of ICs to perform a function you can decide upon.
Many years ago at Uni we had to design a speed controller. One group got to do it using an 8085 CPU, unfortunately I was in the group to do it with discrete transistors. Although I complained at the time, I have never looked back when it comes to discrete design. I learned a lot.

Although I am a great fan of using discrete logic to solve some problems, these days I encourage apprentices to use a micro. Most modern and often very cheap have alot of functionality built in and test a different slant in understanding. SiLabs devices have PWM, ADC plus loads of other peripherals built in so you don't need 555s, 4538s etc. The dev kits are also very cheap and open up so many other avenues and gets them at a basic level to understand programming and binary. They also have switches, LEDs, variable resistors to test the ADC built in. All programmed from the comfort of a laptop/PC.

Some of the (often complex) problems posted here could be done on a micro in a few lines of C or a few more of 8051 assembler. Learning to lower the current of such devices and you can easily replace alot of low speed logic.

For me personally back in the early 80's, making an LED stay lit after two seconds of a button being pressed on a 8085 dev kit got me hooked. They cost thousands of £ then, now as low as £10.

7 segment display.

hello every one... i am recently making a 7 segment display counter using 5+ volt regulator IC... pls comment if anyone can add any idea for the project... tnx guyZ... i have attached a jpeg so everybody can look...

Jeramil, you have hijacked someone else's thread. Start your own thread from the home page (it's good etiquette and you will more likely get a response).

does the 4093 perform the same function as the 4583?
The 4093 & 4583 are nothing alike. As you are just after a schmitt trigger inverter, the 4093, 40106, 74C14, 555 are all viable options as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back