Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need pre-fab shock/tilt power cutoff module

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMonica

I was not really wanting to build this, so was hoping somebody might know where to get these pre-made. I am building a 120/240V appliance that needs to be kept stable and upright. So I am looking for a power cutoff module that will detect shock or vibration or tilt, and will cut off the power for a short period of time if motion is detected. I found things like this:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/08/HS20VA01-24D0-1N1-SB.pdf

... but it is for signal only, not power. Would be great if the sensitivity and time-off were adjustable, but I'll look at anything. Max cost of $20 per unit.

Thanks for any pointers

Sounds like what you are looking for is a "Tilt Switch" and a Google of "Tilt Switch Circuits" will bring up dozens of hits. Since you don't mention your power requirements for the product or give much information it is hard to really narrow down exactly what you need. However, it sounds like the basic circuit would start with a tilt switch and have that maybe trigger a small 555 (or similar) timer circuit.

Ron

Thanks. I found a few expensive ($200) modules, very overkill though. I would imagine there should be cheap modules available for kid toys, blenders, etc, that are just a few dollars. After all, it's just a position sensor, timer ic, smd pot, and mini relay.

I got close when I found a normally-closed piezo sensor used for glass breakage detection, but it was dc only.

Any other ideas?

Years ago the popular switch was a mercury switch like this. However, for obvious reasons their use in consumer products has declined. They have been replaced by a variety of tilt switches of various designs most of which cost literally a few dollars (US).

The problem I see is you want a switch (or sensor) to turn off an appliance for a period of time after a tilt is detected. With mains power that will take some additional circuitry.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back