Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Power supply selection suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavjayt

Hello,

I am done designing my circuit and even got my PCBs made. In the past, I used to order linear regulated power supplies for my whole system from Acopian (which are pricey BTW). Now I am ready to put together our new system and would like to get out of using those linear regulated power supplies as they are getting harder and harder to find (even if you find someone like Acopian, they are really pricey). For my design, I have two PCBs, one has two sections (one section has gain amplifiers for input signals and another one is a summing amplifier with input from multiple PMT modules with band pass filters in it) and take +/-15VDC and another PCB had both digital and analog section (the digital sections has counters, pulse generators and PLL ICs using 5VDC, while the analog section contains gain amplifiers using +/-15VDC) and has one pair of +/-15VDC input and has a LDO for 5V output.

So, together I would like to use two +/-15VDC power supplies, but not sure what to choose and how to use other than Linear Regulated Supplies. I also need DC power supplies for couple of scanner drivers and PMT driver modules?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I see where your coming from. I did a one-of front end for a lock-in amplifier and I used a bunch of potted linear supplies from analog devices which aren't available anymore.

A major US manufacturer who makes electronic instruments a lot of times starts out with a custom transfomer and then starts linearly regulating or switchmode regulating depending on what's required. You are really going to have to find out what your system can tolerate on a power supply. If your stuck with linear, your stuck with linear. In one unit they created a winding just for crowbarring the supply if the switch was turned to 120 on a 240 VAC system.

That's about what I ended up with, two +-15V supplies, and a 5V supply. I'd be in the same boat if I had to do it again.

For really nice linear circuit performance, you can consider "tracking" power supplies and the Acopian's may just be of a tracking design.

Is it possible to use Isolated DIP DC-DC converters (one for each section) on the board and use a good high efficiency single voltage DC switching supply maybe a 19V AC-DC switching supply?

I am wondering whether this design is good enough to reduce noise from using single supply source for all devices within the system.

PowerSupply Layout.PNG

It would be great if someone can suggest me a way to isolate input supply to Analog board and analog section of digital board.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back