Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need MAX232 Fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theyikes

Hey folks!
total newbie here, I'm working on a little project and i really need to lay my hands on a max232 chip. i cant make it to the nearest town for at least 2 more weeks. I have 2 options

A: i have a max232cpe chip, any big dif?

B: anyone know of anything around the house that might contain a max232? I'm willing to sacrifice tv's dvd players, fridges, cookers etc. etc!

Anyone have time to help me out on this?

Thanks is advance

The Yikes

theyikes said:
Hey folks!
total newbie here, I'm working on a little project and i really need to lay my hands on a max232 chip. i cant make it to the nearest town for at least 2 more weeks. I have 2 options

A: i have a max232cpe chip, any big dif?

B: anyone know of anything around the house that might contain a max232? I'm willing to sacrifice tv's dvd players, fridges, cookers etc. etc!

Anyone have time to help me out on this?

Thanks is advance

The Yikes

Where are you?

theyikes said:
i have a max232cpe chip, any big dif?
The suffix 'CPE' specifies the temperature range, the package and I don't remember whatever else. If you're going to use the chip for general purpose, then it's ok.

Check the datasheet for values of external capacitors you need.

Last edited:
Housebound!

Well I'm actually housebound at the moment, New medication makes it really difficult to go out in direct sunlight :( not that we're getting much of that here.

I have everything else i need for the job at hand, I'm losing my mind being housebound so i decided to set about building a few things.

I'm really tempted to try the MAX232CPE chip. Would it help if i put the schematics up? maybe then you all could make a more informed judgment call on it.

Thanks a million for replying

The Yikes

does this help?

Last edited:
theyikes said:
I'm really tempted to try the MAX232CPE chip. Would it help if i put the schematics up? maybe then you all could make a more informed judgment call on it.

Not for the MAX232CPE itself. It's suitable if you're going to use it between 0°C and 70°C. We could see if use proper capacitors, though.

If you order a MAX232 you'll very likely get another MAX232CPE!

Board diagram

heres the board schematics

**broken link removed**

It's based on the dejan box for bb5 phones.

Thanks

The Yikes

board schematics

**broken link removed**

the link above is the board diagram!

ya know what i'm feeling brave, i'm going to try the 232cpe. What the heck it's just a phone! and as a precautionary measure i can always keep the unit cooled!

Thanks

The Yikes

Why strange JustDIY!?! and yes it most certainly is the new medication 3v0. As for 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0 i thought bootlegging DVD's was a bit of a no no! ;)

justDIY said:
this is a very a strange thread

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this thread is odd. but then I'd say about 15% of all threads are of a similar nature: some one asks a question (usually poorly thought out with a completely irrelevent title), gets several answers and then asks the same question in a different (yet equally poorly thought out) way. The consistant theme is a complete lack of research (like reading the first 2 google hits, for example) and zero effort to figure anything out in advance. Granted, it's sometimes hard to know what to look for but we almost never see that question.

My apologies Philba. However as i pointed out in my opening sentence I'm a newbie! so here's what i can only hope is a detailed description of

A: the project

B: The question relating to the project

A: ************The Project************

I own a nokia 6680 mobile phone which i purchased abroad. Because of this the phone is restricted to ensure only sim cards by a certain provider are accepted by the phone.

There is an individual out there called "Dejan Kaljevic" who has for many years now made available to the general public detailed information on how to remove this sim lock.

It is his most recent article, a device for unlocking BB5 model phones that i am attempting to build using the pcb layout and board components list provided by Dejan.

B: ************The question************

in the components list he refers to the MAX232 chip, which i am not in possession of. I am however in possession of a MAX232CPE chip and i was wondering if i could use this particular chip instead of the one on the component list.

As stated I'm new but far from stupid. I can adapt as quickly as the next individual, and as with any living person we only learn by asking. So rather then getting on my case about how i phrased the question a far more constructive way of thinking would have been to ask to try to clarify my predicament.

Thanks

The Yikes

Okay now this thread is strange!

Optikon what does that mean

A clue! he's from England.

If it's a reference to the great Mr Kaljevic, well again your sarcasm skills are poorly depleted!

The Yikes

Hardwire it is the HD-DVD processing key for most movies released so far, published on the net by the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) a couple of days ago by mistake.

Check out **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back