Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need input: Custom made soldering station!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoreticaly yes, but I would have to live on top of Mount Everest to notice that water boils at 70C... :D
And I don't think that difference of few degres will make soldering harder :lol:

Jay.slovak said:
Theoreticaly yes, but I would have to live on top of Mount Everest to notice that water boils at 70C... :D
And I don't think that difference of few degres will make soldering harder :lol:

Boiling point is largely affected by pressure changes but not melting point of metal.

Jay.slovak said:
what does "MAGNETIC" mean?
Just that a small magnet will be attracted to this wire
Jay.slovak said:
where is located to "cold" end of the thermocouple?
A thermocouple junction is formed by connecting two different kinds of wire, such a construction will leave you with the two wire 'tails' of wire to connect to something in order to complete the circuit. These two 'tails' could be connected to each other (as in my first sketch) to form the most basic circuit but this connection will form a junction identical to the first one. We refer to one as the 'hot junction' and the other as the 'cold junction' simply so that we can differentiate between them, it actually makes no difference which is which until you make one hotter than the other - the 'hot junction' !

When the two junctions are at different temperatures there will be a small current flow through the circuit - this is the Seebeck effect. **broken link removed**

To make the circuit into something useful we must connect an indicator in series (as per the second sketch) but this now gives us three junctions where different metals join, each trying to generate a voltage. If the two new junctions (where copper wire is used) are at the same temperature then the voltages will cancel out (the law of intermediate metals) and leave us with a voltage proportional to the difference between the two wires, nickel-chromium and nickel-aluminium for example.

I would suspect that the cold junction(s) will be in the plug, allowing the controller to measure the socket temperature and compensate for this.

Wow ! ... it's easier to understand than to describe :!:

Attachments

• thermocouple_theory.gif
    thermocouple_theory.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 663
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back