Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help withe building a safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sal

i am trying to build a safe, so i can storage important documents, but i dont know were to start. can anyone help me??

Like an electronic code lock ?
You will need to use a microcontroller like a PIC and some kind of display like a LCD or 7segment displays.
A input will also be needed, I am thinking a keypad.

Can you give more detail ?

Safe from what? My grandfather use to say locks only keep honest people out...

Good place to start, would be posting some details... Size, security, location... that sort of thing. What kind of materials do you have availiable, what's your budget?

Is this really the sort of project you detailed on the internet? Have you tried searching the internet? The Smithsonian used to have a whole section on safes, and of course safe-cracking...

sal said:
i am trying to build a safe, so i can storage important documents, but i dont know were to start. can anyone help me??

start by thinking long & hard about why you shouldn't just buy one.

Swanepoel said:
You will need to use a microcontroller like a PIC and some kind of display like a LCD or 7segment displays.
A input will also be needed, I am thinking a keypad.

agreed, i good idea might be to use 4026B chips with 7 segments. i actually did a project on this (electronic locks) and thats what i did because i didnt want to use a LCD display

Are you looking for ideas to build the actual structure (i.e metal box) or ideas on how to make an electronic lock (i.e. keypad)?

For the box, you'ed better be a good welder and have some good machine shop tools.

For the lock, I wouldn't use electronics myself. It would be too east to get locked out.

Buying one is going to be your best bet.

Important papers?

What's wrong with a safe deposit box at your local bank. Make working copies if required and keep originals at the bank. Let them worry about the how....

i think the only issue, is to find an 'electro mechanical lock'.. that can can be activated by electronics, or in case of power falure, using.. a KEY!..

Then, you can come up with many cool ideas like RFID... which would be kidof hard to break..

good luck

RFID is only as hard to break as the encryption scheme used to to transmit and receive the data.

If you are going to use a keypad make one with clear buttons which overlay 10 seven segment digits. Then scramble the digits (along with the key assignments) after each access. Makes it way harder for someone to figure out your code by dusting for prints, watching you, checking button wear, etc....

I think this is what you expect.It has all the features you need.

**broken link removed**

The Fire Stor range of light weight security and fire resistant cabinets provide an affordable solution for the storage and protection of valuables and paper documents. They come finished in RAL 7035 grey to complement any office environment. The cabinets are double walled, the spaces between the walls and doors are filled with a fire resistant material in accordance with the German standard DIN4102. This provides fire resistance for approximately 30 minutes up to temperatures if 750‚°c. All of these cabinets are secured by 5 solid steel bolts and a continuously formed dog bar to protect the hinges in the event of an attack.

* Fire Stor Fire Security Cabinet 1021
* Can hold up to 24 lever arch folders
* Fire Tested 30 minutes for paper document (German DIN4102 standard)
* Standard double bitted keylock (2 keys supplied)
Optional programmable electronic digital lock
(2 user code with a master code)
* Three shelves supplied as standard (extras available on request)
* Optional internal lockable cabinet available

i want to build a safe with wood, its not for me its for little brother ( that has14 years) but i doesnt know how to build the electronic part of the safe, and i think i imagine that i would know that but i dont so i uploaded a image if the drawing of the schematic of the safe box. to see if anyone can help me.

Attachments

• Safe.gif
    Safe.gif
    89.6 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back