Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with Transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubaru

So, I have been playin around with electronics for a few years. Nothing more than some basic circuits with various gates, resistors, capacitors, etc. I finally started to study Transistors and kinda am looking for like a full overview or at least answer some questions I have.

Well I understand (or at least I think I do) that a NPN is open until power is applied to the "Base" which then allows power to pass between the "Collector" and "Emitter". The PNP works in the opposite, correct?

Now I had built a basic circuit once as a kid with one of those Radioshack kits and I remember taking the power off of the "Base" and the LED stayed on. However I have seen several videos on Youtube and from what I am seeing the Transistor acts like a switch, in that when power is removed, all power stops moving through the transistor, correct?

Now I wanted to go to Jameco.com and order some generic use transistors for circuits that carry between 5v and 12v. Is there a such thing as "Generic"? I just want something I can play with and get a feel for what capabilities I have with a few transistors.

Any other information you guys can give me would be great. I feel like I have a small grasp on this huge world of Transistors.....Thanks Guys!

I actually have seen that, it did open my eyes to a lot but I am still looking for some other details.

Hello,

Some common transistors for starting out would be 2N2222, 2N3904, 2N3906 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back