Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

supremo

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to electronics but have managed to do some DIY stuff by closely following the instructions and got them to work :D (some clocks, LED flashing stuff). Now I'd like to do something more practical but couldn't find a ckt that I could follow.

What I need is this, I've got an aquarium where I now have 7 timers in place just to handle the different on and off times of the equipments. My cabinet is already full of those 24 hour timers which I couldn't put side by side cause they're too wide :x

So, was hoping if anybody could give me a diagram on how, using a single clock could probably switch on several relays to switch on my AC plugs. My current timings are:
1. On 1200H to Off 2400H
2. On 1500H to Off 2300H
3. On 1700H to Off 2200H
4. On for 10 minutes at 0200H, 0600H, 1000H, 1400H, 1800H, 2200H
5. On 0000H to Off 0130H and On 0400H to 0530H
6. On 0000H to Off 1200H

It'd be best if there'd be a way to change the timings (but not neccessary). And also hoping not to use PICs :oops:

A million thanks.

It is possible, but not very practical to try to do this without some intelligence in control of things. A simple PIC would be perfect for the job, but an alternative may be to use an old PC and a simple 8 relay board off the parallel port. You could write a simple basic program to run it all and still allow you to change the timing settings.
Here is a link with an example board. They also have other modules if you want to go serial.
**broken link removed**

You may even be able to adapt one of their timer modules at this link:
**broken link removed**

Dialtone

Have you considered using a watering system timer.

The one I have has 8 outputs that drive solenoids to control the water streams.

It can be set for various on/off times.

Alternatively, you could do it with counters such as the CMOS 4020, 4040, 4060 series.

Use gating to detect the on/off points.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back