Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with timer project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCPerrino

I'm relatively new to electronics, I've been studying them in my free time for about a year, and I just recently attempted one of my first builds. The schematic, stripboard layout, and parts list are available here:

Adjustable 1-10 Minute Timer Project

I did everything I was supposed to (I think), and the green LED isn't turning on (it doesn't work at all).

Can anyone look at these pictures I took of my circuit and maybe help me see what I did wrong?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Your pictures are too fuzzy to see a miswire. Does the red led/buzzer come on after the delay?

Have you tried reversing the green LED?

Timer

Interesting.. Bad circuit.:mad:
Remove 33k and .1 ufd.
Move pin 7 to junction of 1 meg and 100k
Tie pin 2 to pin 6 and to junction of 100k and 220 ufd.

Attachments

• Timer.PNG
    Timer.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 214
Ron, he is not trying to build a free-running oscillator, he wants only one cycle. The RC network on the TRIG pin is there to trigger the 555 ONCE as power is applied.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was worried about the picture quality haha

The red led/buzzer don't come on after the delay, and reversing the green led didn't do anything either.

All the components are in their proper places and I'm pretty sure I wired everything according to the schematic.

Oh. I get it. Time for the voltmeter. Strange neither one is on. Sounds like no 9 volts or no ground.

I figured out something, haha, I realized that the 0.1ufd was misplaced, so now the green LED turns on, but when the green LED turns off, the red LED nor the buzzer turn on. I checked every connection and placement and everything is where it's supposed to be

The anode of the LED goes to the switched +9V?

The cathode of the LED goes to the red buzzer lead?

The black buzzer lead goes to pin 3 of the 555?

do you think that it's because I have a 12V buzzer? The schematic said that it would be okay, but the fact that there's only 9V in the circuit, would that maybe be the problem?

Could be. Replace the buzzer with a 470 Ω resistor. If the Red LED lights as expected, you have found your problem.

Try the buzzer directly across a fresh 9V battery.

Last edited:
I replaced the buzzer with the 470ohm resistor and the same thing happened, I don't know if this information helps, but when the two red LED leads are connected the buzzer goes off.

Then you have a shorted RED Led. If that is a true buzzer (coil, vibrating points), then the inductive kick that happens as the points open will blow up a Led. I think the circuit designer was thinking of a Solid-state Sonalert, not an electromechanical buzzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back