Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with thermometer for a smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee_2

I'm building a smoker and would like to add two thermometers. I'm at the point in the build where I need to install the sensors. I would like to use these sensors https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=2 this is the same one that the PIM this I have uses. The smoker is going to use both charcoal/wood and electric.

So I'm looking for a circuit for a simple thermometer that would use the K sensors to display on an LED 7 segment display. Temps will be from 100 to 350.

Thanks for any help

ebay? Here is an LCD one **broken link removed**

The connectors are standard, There is a mini and a full size connector. Extension wire (less expensive) must be used to extend the wires. Male and female connectors are usually used to extend them as well. www.omega.com has lots of info. I never found readouts to be inexpensive. We bought lots of LED readouts at $250 or so each.

That is not what I am looking for I have a Fluke MM with temp I could use. I want it built in. Like this. **broken link removed**

Do you think I could use a K type sensor with this?

I know I can us a PIM like I have for $75 and just use the temp display but I would need two and I am over budget on the smoker now, can't put that kind of money into it.

Thanks for your help.

Are those temperatures Fahrenheit or Centigrade/Celsius?

If you can live with degrees C at $9.00 those little meters are hard to beat. They are pouring in from China by the millions. Hell, nine bucks gets the meter and the sensor. You will not find a temperature indicator and type K TC for that price or even close to it. Matter of fact you won't find type K probes (actual TC probes) for what that that unit cost.

Just My Take
Ron

Hi Kiss

Yes, I agree, looks like a thermistor to me in this link but for a smoker unless you really want or need a TC I figure for nine bucks what the hell? I assume the OP just wants to look at a few temperatures. I doubt the beef brisket will care as I know mine don't. :) The 150C gets him up to about 302 F which should well exceed the range for smokin good stuff to eat.

Hell KISS, there is no limit to where anyone could go with this. Yeah, I like the Omega and other nice stuff but it can get pretty pricey too.

Ron

If you need to go up to 350C then that IMO rules out thermistor or semiconductor probes (which limited research shows are good up to only 150C or so....perhaps someone out there knows otherwise).

All because of this thread I have just started smoking a nice pork shoulder section. Using apple wood today with charcoal for the pork shoulder which will be in there about 6 hours. It will smoke and slow cook at about 200 degrees F. Later I'll make the sauce and today's fare will be pulled pork sandwiches on fresh rolls. All as a result of this thread! :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back