Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with the best PIC programmer programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

sal

hello. I want to know what is the best (freeware) porgramme for a PIC programmer?

Last edited:
sal said:
hello. I want to know what is the best (freeware) porgramme for a PIC programmer?

Personally I'd say WinPicProg - but as I wrote it, I'm probably a little biased? :D

But it was the worlds first Windows PIC programmer, the first to include a dis-assembler, and is probably still the fastest?.

However, today I would highly suggest using an ICD2 clone like the InchWorm, because it will always be upto date, as MicroChip update the firmware as they release new devices.

For parallel and serial programmers, IC-Prog is still highly recommended, and WinPic800 has a good few admirers.

Like anything else, 'best' is a very sibjective term.

i know that the term "best" is a very subjective term... lol
but thanks for the help...

Nigel Goodwin said:
Personally I'd say WinPicProg - but as I wrote it, I'm probably a little biased? :D

But it was the worlds first Windows PIC programmer, the first to include a dis-assembler, and is probably still the fastest?.

However, today I would highly suggest using an ICD2 clone like the InchWorm, because it will always be upto date, as MicroChip update the firmware as they release new devices.

For parallel and serial programmers, IC-Prog is still highly recommended, and WinPic800 has a good few admirers.

Like anything else, 'best' is a very sibjective term.

Hi Nigel,

we call it SELF CONFIDENC you may feel BIAS

Incidentally , help me guiding as to how to program 16c54 without failure as it is, you know, an OTP.

mvs sarma said:
Hi Nigel,

we call it SELF CONFIDENC you may feel BIAS

Incidentally , help me guiding as to how to program 16c54 without failure as it is, you know, an OTP.

First you need to get a UV erasable (JW) version, you can't expect to get it right first time you write the code.

However, the 16C54 isn't even listed anymore, so I would suggest the 16F54 to replace it, and MicroChip have a number of application notes about moving from the 16C54 to 16F54. Presumably this is for your clock problem?, I would suggest fault finding and finding what's wrong - rather than trying another old IC.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
First you need to get a UV erasable (JW) version, you can't expect to get it right first time you write the code.

However, the 16C54 isn't even listed anymore, so I would suggest the 16F54 to replace it, and MicroChip have a number of application notes about moving from the 16C54 to 16F54. Presumably this is for your clock problem?, I would suggest fault finding and finding what's wrong - rather than trying another old IC.
Hi Nigel,

In fact ihave few c54 lying with me and of course i can get it done at a friends facility-- but i was thinking whether i could do it at home ?-
- not a fresh design - using AN0615B application Note , tested after moding for continuous mode. i have to only load it and fit it in my car to feel good of using John day's program and built by me.

Reg the dis-assembler-- yes Sir, i saw it first in your version. later others might have introduced.

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
Reg the dis-assembler-- yes Sir, i saw it first in your version. later others might have introduced.

IC-Prog did, in fact the earlier versions used my original 16C84 disassembler code from my old 16 bit version - even still had my copyright notice in it!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back