Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with some revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncingjack

hello everyone.

here's my the problem.
i've a got a neighbour from hell - always plays load music.
there's no reasoning with him, we've tried - him , his mother , his father - nothing.
and the police is useless - no matter how many time we call , they either say it's the wrong time of day so they can't do anything, or they just don't come.

so i've decided to fight fire with fire...
and also use this opportunity to learn something.

i've got two aiwa ns30 speakers( 6 ohm ), which i think , once placed against my ceilieng, will be powerfull enough.
what i need is an audio amp.
it doesn't need to have a very clear sound, it just needs to produce a lot of power.

i know my way around electronics , but it's my first attempt at building on my own , and i've never dealt with audio.

is there a "do it yourself from stuff at home" design you know of that could fullfill my needs?

thanks

Last edited:
i've got two aiwa ns30 speakers( 6 ohm ), which i think , once placed against my ceilieng, will be powerfull enough.

Hmmm, placed against your ceiling? Are you planning on using your roof as the vibrating membrane, and the attic space as a resonant cavity?

Wouldn't you just want to place your speakers directly facing your neighbor out a window, or just outdoors?

I'll have to admit I don't know a lot about sound propagation. Interesting problem, though.

Revenge is most effective if it is very very subtle.
Since your friend probably already has some hearing damage, loud music isn't going to bother him. What you need is something soft and disturbing. Elevator music played just barely above hearing level is an insidious form of torture. But it's most likely to effect you as much him.
A change of tact is required. High power ultrasonic bursts are the way to go.
The tweeters are small and you can direct them at your target.
Nothing complex, just pick a frequency that is at the top of your hearing range.
Set it on a timing cycle to burst about once every 5 minutes for about 5 seconds between 6pm and 5am.
You victim should barely hear the bursts himself, but they will cause a kind of sleep apnoea and slowly ruin his life :)

You could try some secondary forms of attack, by torturing the parents and coinciding that torture with the punk's music. They might get the message. I built a TV jammer for a friend who used it to calm his aggressive neighbour. He soon got the message when his TV would drop out only during football games near goal. It also only effected one team ? hehehe

Something I haven't tried (yet) I haven't had cause :) Is if he's on the same phase from the street, inject something like a 200Hz square wave into the phase.
Filtering in the amp may protect it.

I could suggest many other things.... no of them legal, but some more effective than others. :D

Another possibility, from the old CB & guitar amp days... A sufficiently strong AM signal overrides the frontend of the amplifier, making the 1st stage phase splitter demodulate the AM signal, and that's past the volume control!

An appropriately obnoxious frequency, modulated as the input over a CB radio, may be enough to "takeover" their amplifier. I don't know if this still applies to modern amp designs. Good Luck "muting" this clown... <<<)))

Revenge is a poor deterrent. It escalates and doesn't solve the problem, sometimes creating more problems -- unless you kill them. I suggest a different tack, like becoming friendly with your neighbors. Friends respect each other, warring neighbors don't. Invite them over for dinner, or something. Break out the peace pipe. But, also, a little tolerance may be in order. You have much more control over your own reactions and property than those of anyone else.

There are some excellent noise cancelling headphones on the market, for personal quietness. Hey! Maybe your speaker idea can work to serve as a massive whole-house noise cancelling system. $$$

Last edited:
thank you all for the ideas.

he lives above me (thats why "against the ceiling")

as for being friendly with him , it doesn't work. in his own words :"I simply don't care".

i've come across the information that he has trouble sleeping due to the ambient sounds of the street. so thats probably what i'm going to blast through.

he has a 2.1 Creative computer sound system, which by itself isn't all that powerfull, but combined with a bare ceramic floor in their apartment, we hear every step they make, and especially all the bass in his music.

is it possible to create ultrasonics with regular speakers? they're supposed to only have a 20hz - 20khz frequency responce...

in his own words :"I simply don't care".
Why don't you try taking his approach? Maybe try making light of it & not getting bothered about it. Your anxiety/stress is caused by you and is under your control (it's all in your mind :p ), not his.

Try some of the resonant frequencies, such as "F" and deliver it at 100 watts. It gets into the bones and gradually destroys the body. They will be dead in a few weeks. Turn the amp on and leave the house all day. This low freq will penetrate the floor perfectly and attack them.

Last edited:
it's impossible not to care.
we can only hear the bass track through the ceiling and it's loud enough to penetrate through earphones...

i was wondering, if i want to make a 100W amplifier. i'll need to buy 100W (power dissipation) transistors. right? for the final stage.

Last edited:
Why not simply move to another place?

Last edited:
he has a 2.1 Creative computer sound system, which by itself isn't all that powerfull, but combined with a bare ceramic floor in their apartment, we hear every step they make, and especially all the bass in his music.

Now that sound like it works well for him, so why not get the same and see if if it works well for you to.
PC's are good for generating sound waves and you can download all sorts of unpleasent noises.

Maybe those who are saying ...Get over it!! ....have never had to live with a base speaker as a neighbor, i to agree excess base noise on its own, is like water dripping on your head, and drives you insaine.

I say get some big tweeters, and hook 'em up to an amp, connected to the output from any old computer.

Download Audacity, and generate a tone of anywhere between 10,000-20,000 Hz. Let it repeat at full volume...

It will drive them insane. :D

Try some of the resonant frequencies, such as "F" and deliver it at 100 watts. It gets into the bones and gradually destroys the body. They will be dead in a few weeks. Turn the amp on and leave the house all day. This low freq will penetrate the floor perfectly and attack them.
It would be more amusing to play the brown note :D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

it's impossible not to care.
we can only hear the bass track through the ceiling and it's loud enough to penetrate through earphones...
Surely you have some control over your emotions?

i was wondering, if i want to make a 100W amplifier. i'll need to buy 100W (power dissipation) transistors. right? for the final stage.
If you're actually interested in creating something, there's a very good reference site for power amplifiers here: **broken link removed**, though in your case a class B or C would be much simpler and as a bonus create enough distortion to match your ...EDIT...

Maybe those who are saying ...Get over it!! ....have never had to live with a base speaker as a neighbor,
If perchance you're referring to me, I'll just say that you're wrong; I've lived in the real world. I've had worse than bass coming through the ceiling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back