Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with simple problem . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

dim bulb

Hi, new here. My working electrical knowledge is minimal at best (hence my user name) and I am hoping some here take pity on me. I am wanting to replace a few 12v incandescent bulbs with LEDs. The circuit contains a flasher unit that senses load and when there is a burnt bulb, a circuit in the flasher causes the unit to speed up the flashing cycle as a warning of a bulb failure. My problem is I am at the moment stumped as what to do to create a load in the circuit to replace that of the incandescents since the LEDs draw far less.

Please have pity on me!

Use a resistor.

LEDs generally draw 10-20 mA. If the voltage drop across the LED is 1.5V, then you would want a 1K:eek:hm: resistor. How many LEDs to replace one 12v incandescent bulb? Are they in series or parallel?

Mike

If you need an additional load just add a resistor in parallel with the LED-resistor combination. Since an incandescent bulb takes a lot of power, the resistors will need to be power resistors.

For example to replace a 3W bulb would require a 56 ohm, 3W resistor. But it may be possible to get by with a higher value, lower wattage resistor and still make the flasher work properly. You'd have to experiment with different resistor values to determine that.

Thanks. I figured resistors but didn't think power resistors. Now to find where I stashed Ohm's Law in my brain and dust it off! Haha!!

You could use larger LEDs, or parallel-string LEDs to increase current draw without re-wiring the circuit with smaller power transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back