Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with RF flash trigger and receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSW

Hi,
I know almost nothing about RF stuff, but I want to increase the consistency of my RF trigger and receiver units that trigger my camera flash remotely. My Trigger and receiver operate on 433mhz, and are supposed to have a range of 30m, but I can't even get them to operate consistently within 20ft. I am looking for possible (cheap) solutions.
Here is what I know about them:
The receiver (green circuit board in pics) runs off of 2AAA batteries. What appears to be the antenna is a wire that sticks up from the circuit board, runs parallel to it for about 3/4", and then reconnects to the circuit board. (bottom left side of pic)
The Transmitter (blue circuit board in pics) runs off of a small 12v battery (shorter than AAA). What appears to be the antenna is a wire connected to one corner of the circuit board, running parallel to it for approx 2" and unconnected at the other end. (top of circuit board in pic)

1. Would increasing the antenna length help?
2. If so, is it better to buy an antenna, or can I use wire to extend the antenna?
3. Would it be better to extend the trigger or the receiver antenna?

Thanks for your help
NSW

Attachments

• DSC_0886.JPG
    DSC_0886.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC_0889.JPG
    DSC_0889.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Hi,
I know almost nothing about RF stuff, but I want to increase the consistency of my RF trigger and receiver units that trigger my camera flash remotely. My Trigger and receiver operate on 433mhz, and are supposed to have a range of 30m, but I can't even get them to operate consistently within 20ft. I am looking for possible (cheap) solutions.
Here is what I know about them:
The receiver (green circuit board in pics) runs off of 2AAA batteries. What appears to be the antenna is a wire that sticks up from the circuit board, runs parallel to it for about 1" to 1.5", and then reconnects to the circuit board. (bottom left side of pic)
The Transmitter (blue circuit board in pics) runs off of a small 12v battery (shorter than AAA). What appears to be the antenna is a wire connected to one corner of the circuit board, running parallel to it for approx 2" and unconnected at the other end. (top of circuit board in pic)

1. Would increasing the antenna length help?
2. If so, is it better to buy an antenna, or can I use wire to extend the antenna?
3. Would it be better to extend the trigger or the receiver antenna?

Thanks for your help
NSW

1. Yes
2. Use wire and extend the antenna
3. Receiver, but main reason is convenience. Extending the transmitter would also help, but it will get in the way more than on the receiver. Extending beyond about 1 foot is going too far, but anything up to that length is reasonable. Trial and error method.

1. Yes
2. Use wire and extend the antenna
3. Receiver, but main reason is convenience. Extending the transmitter would also help, but it will get in the way more than on the receiver. Extending beyond about 1 foot is going too far, but anything up to that length is reasonable. Trial and error method.

Thanks.
couple of more q's
1. Have I correctly identified the antennas?
2. Where would I attach the wire on the receiver?
3. Can I attach a wire to the free end of the wire on the transmitter?

I think you have the tx antenna right. The rx one is an odd choice for this kind of product, but I don't see anything else that looks like an antenna, and that wire does seem to be the right thing. I would do some experiments. First i would tack a new wire to the upper end of the wire on the pcb and dress that new wire away from the circuit board. I'd check the range as carefully as possible, then try moving that new wire down to the bottom end of the existing wire. i would also try removing the existing wire and tacking your long new wire to the upper attachment point of the old wire.

Its fine to extend that tx antenna by adding wire.

Measuring range is tricky to do consistently, but some rules of thumb.
- everything nearby should be in exactly the same place for each check. (don't move things around, be very consistent)
- both units at least at table height, or perhaps a bit more
- do it outside if you can, but avoid nearby cars that might move

Last edited:
I doubled the trigger antenna (I think) by adding 173mm of wire to the existing antenna. It worked MUCH better. Since the 173mm of wire won't fit into the transmitter properly, I am thinking of purchasing a 433mhz antenna to mount on the trigger. I would then solder the existing antenna to the base of the new antenna, which should give me my doubling effect. Am I right?

If so, where is a good place to get small antennas like that?

Thanks for all your help
NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back