Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with remote device

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARINE1142

Ok I need some help.
I want to make a handheld device that shows me the digital read out of a volt meter on a panel that is about 100 to 200 feet away I just need it to tell me what that meter says. The problem is that I have to keep an eye on these machine's that are being tested and they are about 100 to 200 feet away and I thought if I made one of these for each one that I would not have to go and check on them all the time.

Can anyone help.

Russlk said:
Wouldn't it be easier to have an alarm when the reading is higher or lower than you want it to be?[/quo

i need that function too
how can i make that your saying?

Yes it would but there is certain perameters that I have to log which has a specific reading at varys times of the day its kind of weird but the divice just has to tell me what the voltage is at the unit. Is there a way to do this?

MARINE1142 said:
Yes it would but there is certain perameters that I have to log which has a specific reading at varys times of the day its kind of weird but the divice just has to tell me what the voltage is at the unit. Is there a way to do this?

A great deal depends on EXACTLY what you are wanting to do, for example could you run a cable to the remote location? - your distance is relatively small.

If you can't run wires, you could use licence free radio modules, but pick ones that have inbuilt manchester encoding - you would still really need a micro-controller at each end of the link to control everything.

Or, for an alternative idea, why not build an automatic logger?, again you could do this cheaply and simply using a PIC, and just check occasionally and write all the logged values down (or copy them to a laptop or whatever).

There are too many machines to run cable. Lets talk more about these rf mod with micropro at each end I would still need a lcd at the remote would this be a small unit at both ends and what would I need to run these things?

MARINE1142 said:
There are too many machines to run cable. Lets talk more about these rf mod with micropro at each end I would still need a lcd at the remote would this be a small unit at both ends and what would I need to run these things?

You need one micro-controller (a PIC or something else) at the distant end, this device reads the sensors, converts the data into packets of information, manchester encodes it (or preferably the transmitter module does the manchester encoding itself) and sends the data out over the radio link.

At the receiver side the receiver module receives the packet of data, and sends it to another micro-controller, this decodes the manchester data (unless the receivcer module has alread done it), and displays it in some way. You could use an LCD text module for this, or a printer, or a video display module, or feed it via RS232 into a PC.

There are many options you could do, such as an LCD display at the distant end as well, and storage of large numbers of readings in EEPROM.

Are the RF mod. purchased or made, also this mancheste encoders are single ic or circuit and were can i get a print. Thanks for the reply Nigil.

MARINE1142 said:
Are the RF mod. purchased or made, also this mancheste encoders are single ic or circuit and were can i get a print. Thanks for the reply Nigil.

You buy the RF modules ready built, that way they meet the licence free rules, if you tried to make them yourself you would probably have to get approval for them - VERY! expensive.

You can buy the modules with the manchester coding IC's built on them, that will make things a great deal easier - there seems a lack of manchester routines about?.

Have a look at for encoder/decoder chips.

There are various other manufacturers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back