Need Help with Power Supply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnikefi

I want to test the current capacity of some exotic wire materials.
I would like to know if I can put a current through a 6" long piece of wire using a dc power supply.
I want to increase the current and take some temperature measurements as I do this.
I have not used a power supply before but I have seen somebody doing it and I am sure that all they had was the power supply and the wire and a method of connection.

Thank You.

Exactly what type power supply do you have? Can you adjust the current output with the power supply? Yes, you can pass a current through a wire sample and measure the heating effect but the supply needs to be able to deliver enough current.

Ron

How much current?

Do you have a current-limited power supply **broken link removed**?

My power supply is a BK Precision Model 1760A
I think the current is limited to 6 amps - but the wire I want to test only needs to take 5 amps without getting too hot.

If this power supply is what you have it is a triple output supply with outputs A and B being 0 to 30 Volts and controlled current 0.1 amp to 2 amps. The C output is 4 to 6.5 volts 0 to 5 amps but does not allow current adjust. Therefore it won't quite work for your intended application / test. However:

You could parallel A & B in a tracking mode and get 0 to 30 volts and 4 amps.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…