Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with ordering samples from Microchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

What are the elligibility for ordering free samples from microchip?

Do I have to work for a specific company?

How much and how frequently can I order?

[I put this question in another forum but it was not clearly answered.]

Thanks. I would like to try some 16F877A

It has been my experience that companies that offer samples are quite liberal. I don't ask for more than 2 pieces, and they are often shipped by priority mail. You don't have to work for a company, but it wouldn't hurt to call yourself XXX Engineering, or XXX Consulting.

My one concern is that I have to register to order free samples from microchip, and I cannot use generic emails like yahoo and hot mail. So it seems that they actually check email addresses to see if you are part of a company or something.

Does anyone have a personal experience?

they're giving you FREE products in good faith, yet you don't want to reciprocate by providing legimate information, such as a real, non-freebie email address?

I've never had Microchip contact me by any method, despite having sampled from them several times.

justDIY said:
they're giving you FREE products in good faith, yet you don't want to reciprocate by providing legimate information, such as a real, non-freebie email address?

I've never had Microchip contact me by any method, despite having sampled from them several times.

That was not my point. What I was trying to say is that I thought microchip checks your email address, "xxxxxx@company.com," to see if you work for certain company.

I don't work. I am a student. Hence my dillema.

Hey, is there anything against students? I can still order Free samples right?

They should be happy to send samples to students ... especially if you're in the engineering fields - if they get you hooked on their products, you might influence the purchase of PICs down the road on some design. I'd use your school email address

they dont' have the resources to check your domain name to see if it's a real company... many companies automatically red-flag freebie email addresses (National will charge you for samples if you use a freebie address) ... they will also send a confirmation to that address, to make sure its legit ... if the confirmation bounces, guess what, no samples ;)

Thanks alot.

So, how frequently and often can I order from Microchip? How many chips at once can I order?

I don't need much, but I think I will try several things (putting my ICD2 to a good work). ;)

TI has been very cool, even sending out more of the same parts as a second sample order ... and they use Digikey to ship their samples, so its generally very fast delivery

They don't specify any re-order limits, but I've read that if you abuse their system, they'll blacklist you, permanently.

some companies are good about samples - maxim and microchip are among the best. very liberal sample policies. it's good to hear that TI is too.

nat semi is on the other end - you need an email from an approved domain.

when in doubt, try it. what's the worst that can happen? they say no?

My experience has been that if you act professional and businesslike in your dealings with these people they will treat you with coutesy and respect. You should not lie or fabricate a story you think they want to hear. They have exceptionally accurate BS meters. If you are a student, then say so. If you bought a starter kit, or a development board, tell them that. If one chip from the starter kit is not enough to support your continued development activities while you distribute prototypes for testing and evaluation tell them that.

In the US, small quantities of parts are normally sold through distributors, like Arrow, and Future, and Schuster. It would not hurt to establish relationships with these companies since distributors have a very easy time getting samples. It also demonstrates your willingness to pay for parts if your development activities prove fruitful. Ask if you can establish an account and get Net 30 terms. If you can do this, it will demonstrate a professional and businesslike approach to the procurement of material.

If you communicate by phone make sure that you speak clearly and directly. These are busy people -- don't waste their time. If you communicate in writing avoid slang expressions and instant messaging shorthand. Use the spell checker and grammar checker. There is absolutely nothing that creates a worse impression than a letter that looks like it was written by a child unskilled in the use of his own language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back