Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with mosfet theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzn10

I have an H-bridge configuration circuit, and i want to drive the gates through a PIC microcontroller. The problem is that the logic signals are only (0 to 5V), so im gona need a mosfet driver to succesfully turn on and turn off the mosfets. I read somewhere in which i referenssed is that you can bypass this driver by placing P-Channel MosFets on the top and N-channel MOSFETs on the bottom of the H bridge, could some one please tell me how and why this actually works, the advantages are obvious in that you dont need a driver, but are there any draw backs to such a configuration.

Thanks

Reference
**broken link removed**

It works because you connect the P-channel source to the supply and drive the gate to ground providing a negative Vgs.

The drawback is that P-channel MOSFETS are generally slower than N-channel MOSFETS. This can lead to a period of time where both MOSFETS are on, providing a short across the power supply. You could try to match the current handling characteristics and the turn on and turn off times but you will find this a daunting enterprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back