Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with Low voltage cutoff circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
well Pepper, the 7805 has been replaced with one resistor and zener diode, and my multimeter reads 3,2mA after cutoff wich I think is pretty low, I haven't done any calculations on it, but it should take a while to discharge the battery (28Ah) to a dangerous level.. right!?!..

You didn't include any capacity of the source battery or how long it was going to be dormant for before re-charging, so I assumed the worst case. Replacing the 7805 with a zener means you are seeing the problems ahead which is good.

MikeMl: I was merely offering a much simpler solution with minimum external components. There are thousands of ways to achieve what the OP wanted, but lower component count and lower current are the way to go.

The explanation I offered could be used by others reading this post who may not have a 28Ah battery behind the circuit but a very low power Li-Ion type cell which the 7805 would flatten in hours. Using this IC would offer a much better solution for most problems across many different cell technologies. I have developed lower power devices but they have to go through the verification/validation process before it can be used.

More importantly, it works. We have made them in thousands without any issues. Across many cell configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back