Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with LCD segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafael_cordeiro

Hello,
I have a "7 segment LCD display" from an old calculator and want to use it with a PIC 16F628A I have.
The problem is that I don´t know what which wire does, as there is lots of digits. I understand almost anything about this kind of displays and would like to know more information about it.
Another problem with it is that since it is just a piece of glass, how would I connect/solder/stick/glue a wire from the PIC to the display?

Thanks for any help.
Rafael

rafael_cordeiro said:
Hello,
I have a "7 segment LCD display" from an old calculator and want to use it with a PIC 16F628A I have.
The problem is that I don´t know what which wire does, as there is lots of digits. I understand almost anything about this kind of displays and would like to know more information about it.
Another problem with it is that since it is just a piece of glass, how would I connect/solder/stick/glue a wire from the PIC to the display?

Basically you don't!.

It's just a bare LCD display, you need to feed it with multiplexed AC to work - far easier to just use a standard LCD module which can be easily fed direct from a PIC. You 'could' use an LCD driver chip to feed it (if you could find a suitable one?), or choose a different micro-controller with an LCD interface built-in.

The contacts are usually made by conductive rubber strips sandwiched between the display and the PCB - this is often a difficult thing to get working on it's own!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back