Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with ignition coil driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add two componets to the circuit. A silicon diode like a 1N5400 in parallel with the ignition coil, the cathode connected to +12V and the anode connected to the collector side of the 2N3055. I would add a 10 uF electrolytic capacitor between pin 8 and pin 1 of the 555. + to pin 8 and negative to pin 1

k7elp60 said:
I would add two componets to the circuit. A silicon diode like a 1N5400 in parallel with the ignition coil, the cathode connected to +12V and the anode connected to the collector side of the 2N3055. I would add a 10 uF electrolytic capacitor between pin 8 and pin 1 of the 555. + to pin 8 and negative to pin 1
Maybe put a series RC snubber across the coil, but I think a diode defeats the purpose. (I believe) Transistor-based ignition coil drivers generate the high voltage on turn-off. Remember that the transistor is switching the "primary" of an autotransformer. It charges up the field while it is on, and the high voltage is generated when the field collapses.

Roff said:
Maybe put a series RC snubber across the coil, but I think a diode defeats the purpose. (I believe) Transistor-based ignition coil drivers generate the high voltage on turn-off. Remember that the transistor is switching the "primary" of an autotransformer. It charges up the field while it is on, and the high voltage is generated when the field collapses.
There I go having a brain fart again. Thanks Roff for getting me back on track.

Roff said:
I just make sure I use a transistor with a high enough voltage rating (depends on the coil's Q at the resonant frequency with parasitic capacitance) or that it's avalanche rated to the amount of energy stored in the coil.

Aslo you don't actually need a resistor in the snubber circuit, if you know the coil's inductance and the peak current, then you can work our the maximum voltage you'd expect across the capacitor, the larger the capacitor the lower the voltage. Yes, the resonant circuit will ring a bit but the energy isn't being wasted and proving the resonant frequency is significantly higher than the switching frequency then it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back