Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

05gpgt2

I need help designing a gate function generator for a lab experiment and am having problems doing so is there somewhere i can look for an example or one that is already done?This is the problem i am trying to solve.
implement a chip function detector that is able to
detect if the tested chip has the function of NAND (7400), OR(7432), AND(7408) or
XOR (7486) gates.
I can either wire it on a breadboard with some ics or i can use the PLD quartus 2 that we have available.

Maybe just pont me in the right direction would also help i am completely lost on this.
Thanks.

hi,
The first thing you should do is work out the Truth table for each of those gates.

They all have two inputs and one output.

Call the inputs A and B, the output X [ or C of you prefer]

The OR gate is easy.

A B X
0 0 0
1 0 1
0 1 1
1 1 1

You do the others yourself and post your tables, we will give more Hints.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to use µpc or other programmable devices, or are you strictly bounded to logic gates, counters, flipflops and so on?

74xx series logic ICs are extremely old. I first learned about DTL logic when RTL logic ICs became obsolete.
I threw away my TTL cookbook about 32 years ago and have used Cmos logic ICs ever since.
Why don't teachers use newer Cmos?

Why don't teachers use newer Cmos?
Since I've being there as a student, I have the grand answer to that:
Students that does kill cmos ic's by static electricity makes an expenditure over time. And to reduce the cost, the school decides to go for TTL ic's instead, since the chance is less that a student kill it compared to a cmos.

My teacher said so :p

I have used thousands of Cmos logic ICs without a grounding wrist-strap and in winter in my part of Canada the static electricity is awful. Not one IC was damaged.

I think students "blow Up" electrolytic capacitors and ICs by connnecting the power supply polarity backwards ON PURPOSE!

Deleted Off Topic.
Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted Off Topic.
Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
A b and nand or ex-or
0 0 0 1 0 1
0 1 0 1 1 0
1 0 0 1 1 0
1 1 1 0 1 1

Hi,
Your assignment is design test equipment that will determine if the Gate is a NAND or AND.

Use a 5V supply to power the test unit, connect a series resistor and LED from the output pin of your unit to 0V. Say a 470R and a RED led in series.

On the two input pins A,B, use a single pole changeover switch, one on each input.

Wire the centre pole of the switch to input A, and the other switch to B input.

You should now be able to work out for yourself how the other two contacts on each switch should be wired to enable you to set a Logic low [0v] or a Logic high [+5v] on the input pins A and B

Observe the settings of your two switches and if the LED is lit or not and work out if NAND or AND, using you Truth tables.

Last edited:
what chips would i be using with this setup?
Also i have to do NAND, OR, AND, and EX OR gates with this.
I am just completely lost we didnt go over anything like this in class and i can not find anything online on how to do something like this.

what chips would i be using with this setup?
Also i have to do NAND, OR, AND, and EX OR gates with this.
I am just completely lost we didnt go over anything like this in class and i can not find anything online on how to do something like this.

hi,
The IC's would be the ones that you are testing.

All you need is a 5Vdc supply , led/resistor and a couple of single pole change over switches...

Do you follow OK.?

this is the lab that i am trying to figure out.

**broken link removed**

hi,
Its a pity you didn't post that first, save us both hassle.;)

What they are asking for is a automatic sequence checker, which is a little more complicated.

I can give you a few hints, I am tied up on another project at the moment, I will post back as soon as I can.

Last edited:
hi,
This circuit can generate the States, look at the Plots for the 3 types of Gates on test.

You should be able to work out for yourself the rest of the circuit for the Sequence Detector.

This will get you started.

will any d flip flop ic work for this because im sure that i am limited and im not sure if the ones you have listed are available also i have not seen a program like that before what are the plots exactly its just a little confusing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back