Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with first flyback converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonedoc

Hey guys, I am new here. Im used to writing assembly for pic microchips, but have more recently started to learn about other things....more specifically DC to DC conversion. I have a situation where I need to convert 6V DC into 300V DC. Originally, I was going to use the LT3750 capacitor charger, but when I ordered them, I realized they were microscopic. Not a chance I am soldering that.

SO....I figured I would learn how to do this without the LT3750 device. Also, I have a transformer winder, but I hate using it. So, I ordered a few coilcraft transformers, which were actually designed for that LT3750 cap charger. Just so you know, that cap charger allows for a 3v-24v DC input and does 300V out. Here is a link to the transformer I am using, the da2032:

**broken link removed**

The primary windings are soldered in parallel. The turn ratio is 1:10 and the inductance is .013 on the primary, and 1.6 on the secondary.

I attached a picture of the circuit I am trying to build. Instead of the switch, I am pulsing the transistor with a pic ccp module at 4000Hz. I verified that this is accurate with my scope.

Here are my problems, and excuse me if they are stupid.

-On hand, I have some 2sd965 NPN, and some IRF530 N channel power mosfets:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/panasonic/SJC00200BED.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/fairchild/IRF530.pdf

These are both massively overheating. I dont understand why if I am simply pulsing 6V through them. I have a 1k resistor to the base / gate from the pic. I have 6V going to the primary winding an then to the NPNs I am testing. In the case of the 2sd965, the output of the transformer primary goes to the collector and the emitter goes to the ground. In the case of the IRF530, the output of the transformer goes to the drain, and the source goes to the ground.

Am I just trying the wrong transistors? If so, what is a good selection?

-My last question is this, regarding the secondary side. If I have everything running on the primary side, and I dont have a load on the secondary side, should I not be able to measure an AC voltage across the windings? When I test, do I need to measure from secondary end to secondary end, or from one secondary end to ground? Also, if I have no load but have a high speed diode on the secondary, should I not see a large DC voltage from the anode to ground?

Sorry for all the stupid questions...Im going crazy and new to this! I think I have read everything I can, but dont get something.

Attachments

• fly.gif
    fly.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 198
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back