Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with electric car PWM motor control circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XmodAloy

Hello, I am planning on doing a electric car conversion, and want to do most of the circuitry myself to save money (don't have the $1000 or more for the motor controllers, saving that for batteries). I have found several schematics that look useful, but I do not know if they fit my criteria. I have already bought a motor, it originally came off of a forklift and was rebuilt by the seller. The specifications of the motor are: DC, 36 volt, individual stator and armature windings, current draw of around 600- 800 amps.
I know this is a little higher current, lower voltage motor than most EVs are using, But I would like to try it anyway.

Some of the schematics I am looking at: **broken link removed** The Using MOSFETS Website: H-bridge using P and N channel FETs

I am planning on using two separate ESCs, one smaller H Bridge one for the stator windings (100 amps or so, and H Bridge ESCs are reversible, so I reverse the stator field to go backwards) and a larger non-H Bridge controller for the armature (700 amps or so).

I figured Pulse Width Modulation would be the way to go, since I see a lot of other circuits using it, but if I am wrong, please correct me.

If anyone can give me some good schematics for the armature circuit and some part numbers, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
There is no point in having double reversible control systems. Neither needs to be H -bridge as well. If its a 36 volt motor with a 36 volt field there is also no need to put a PWM system on it. A simple set of relays to dictate what direction of current flow goes through the fields is enough.

If you are on a limited budget making it unnecessarily complicated serves no purpose or gains.
In a high power drive system simple and rugged is what is needed.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been, The motor I have is rated for 18 horse power and is massive (got it because it was cheap), and I was not meaning to say that both the controllers were going to be reversible, only the stator field controller was going to be reversible. I have heard that a lot of other vehicles are using 3 phase AC motors (Better known by the RC world that I come from as "Brush-less" motors, And yes, I know this is only similar in concept to an electric RC car) however, these motors are rather expensive, and I have been unable to find any cheap motor controllers for them, and as I have already bought the motor, I am sort of stuck with going DC anyway.
I have been thinking about just using a four speed (On low, On high, Off, Backwards) power limiter for the stator field coil instead of a PWM controller, and it would probably save me some money, but I don't think I could easily runn 100 amps at 36 volts through any cheap relays, I have never had much luck with relays when you try to put a lot of power through them, and they have a bad tendency to stick closed when you don't want them to.
I don't mean to be a rain cloud on my own parade, but, I don't see very many good options of how to limit the amount of current going to the stator field other than a PWM controller.
If it helps, here is a video of my motor: YouTube - Electric car motor test run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back