Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with drive Tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeX0R

hi
me and my friend wonts to build a litle tank that drive remotely.
we have remote control from crashed Airplan and we want to use hem in that tank.

but we dont know how to connect the DC motor to the FM DC Receiver.

the receiver called : Hitec DCX 3-Channel FM DC Receiver 75MHz S/J
**broken link removed**

some one can help me with the circuit or somthing... maybe we need a L298?

HeXIOR,

This receiver is intended to drive hobby "servos". These contain circuitry and a motor that positions a shaft/lever arm. The shaft is capable of only rotating 45 to 180 degrees, depending on the servo. In the airplane they were used to control the small movements of the flight control surfaces...and maybe the throttle. However, there are ways of modifying servos to get allow continuous rotation, and direction control, to drive wheels...or a tank track. There are a lot of web pages that tell how to do it.

Google: hack modify servo.

Ken

You could use a servo to operate a rheostat. Think slot car controller.

HeXOR,

You then use the servo shaft the same way you would a motor shaft...to drive your tank track. Actually two hacked servos, one for each track. Independent control of forward and reverse of each servo gives you forward and reverse motion, and differential steering. Not knowing the controls on the transmitter...you do have one?...you'll need to play with that.

Ken

If you want to learn how to drive a tank, the Army might be interested in you. I hear they'll make you Army strong -- whatever that is.

If you want to learn how to drive a tank, the Army might be interested in you. I hear they'll make you Army strong -- whatever that is.

Enlist now and maybe you could drive one of these Tamiya Tank. Just add a pea shooter and you could be doing some real damage.

Using the Tamiya tracked vehicle kit with a couple of standard servos might work, it would be "very tight" due to the back to back height. Using dc motors adds another unnecessary layer of complexity, but is do-able as shown by the picture.

There are several affordable R/C tanks that shoot Airsoft pellets...

How big a tank are you planning to build? Hobby servos were designed to control, pretty strong, but I don't think they can handle a lot of weight. There is a circuit (ESC - electronic speed control, I think), that converts the servo signal, into a voltage for driving a DC motor. They use them for R/C cars, well land vehicles... Believe you get forward/reverse and speed control.

hhh...
the servo will exploed or ded if i will put hem in that project.
my tank i build will be 15 Kilo of metal!!!

i thought to do that wilth L298 or 74hc00 chip....
i saw a cheme with this but only one motor.

HeX0R said:
hhh...
the servo will exploed or ded if i will put hem in that project.
my tank i build will be 15 Kilo of metal!!!

i thought to do that wilth L298 or 74hc00 chip....
i saw a cheme with this but only one motor.
Neither one of those chips is likely to be much help to you in getting 15 kilos to move. You need to handle some serious current.

In most countries the frequency for aircraft is completely different to that for land vehicles. Using this transmitter to operate a model tank may be illegal in your country. There is a very good reason why aircraft have an exclusive frequency.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back