Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with DIL and LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeechSim

This will be fairly simple to many of you here, but new to me.

I'm building a flight simulator.

I have an interface card with built in current limiting resistor That will power one LED at 5vdc max 20ma

I want to connect three LEDs to the output each is 5vdc 30ma.

I know that I need a relay. I think a DIL or similar.

I don't know what type because I have no experience of these. I did think of putting resistors in to limit the current but then surely I will have very dim LEDs.

Ideas? suggestions ?

Dean **broken link removed**

Dean

you don't need a relay - you need a transistor

5 volts is pretty high for such a small amperage - double check your specs on that LED... perhaps you're using pre-wired LEDs which have built in resistors?

if your power source is limited to 5 volts, you will wire your LEDs in parallel to the transistor.

if have more power available somewhere (say 12v) [again, check the specs on yer LEDs], you can wire the LEDs in series to the transistor.

check out this site for how to wire a led to a transistor
https://www.iguanalabs.com/1stled.htm

your single output card would then turn the transistor on and off, much like a relay.

Hi,

And thanks for the reply. I may be mistaken then in what I have bought.

Order Code UK21X: High Efficiency Red
Kingbright description: L-793ID
Forward current max.: 30mA
Forward voltage max.: 2.5V
Reverse voltage max.: 5V
Wavelength @ peak : 627nm
Power dissipation PT: 105mW
Light output min.@ 20mA: 40mcd
Light output typ.@ 20mA: 100mcd

Order Code UK22Y: Green
Kingbright description: L-793GD
Forward current max.: 25mA
Forward voltage max.: 2.5V
Reverse voltage max.: 5V
Wavelength @ peak : 565nm
Power dissipation PT: 105W
Light output min.@ 20mA: 20mcd
Light output typ.@ 20mA: 60mcd

These are the specs for the LEDs

In the manual for the Card is says "The outputs are connected to +5v supply via a 470 ohm resistor and can drive an LED directly without any additional LED series resistor. A maximum of 20 mA can be drawn from each output. Note the current limiting resistor is already mounted on the card"

Maybe I have got it wrong, I've looked at these specs and thought it was OK, then I have to admit I read a little more deeply.

Dean

The card might have a 470 ohm resistor from 5V to light an LED with only 5.3mA for a 2.5V LED. Then a transistor shorts the LED to turn it off.

So,

Let me get this right. With the LEDs that I'm using, they should only be drawing 5.3 mA each ?

I checked the connections today and with the LED connected I read 2v and with it disconnected I read 5V at the output from the card.

Sorry to sound like such a dummy, but I am worried about drawing too much current from the card if I connect 3 LEDs to its output, which I would like to do.

Thanks all for your help.

The manual for the card says, "The outputs are connected to +5v supply via a 470 ohm resistor and can drive an LED directly without any additional LED series resistor. A maximum of 20 mA can be drawn from each output. Note the current limiting resistor is already mounted on the card".

The manual doesn't make sense. A dead short at the output of a 470 ohm resistor from a 5V supply will draw a current of only 10.6mA. The current from each output will never reach 20mA unless the load is connected to a negative supply.

If you connect 3 LEDs in parallel, they will unevenly share the 5.3mA available to them.

why can't a simple transistor be used as a switch (powered by the weak output of this card, whatever that may be), to provide full current to the three leds?

in one of the pictures, I saw an ATX power supply ... if that is still available, you have plenty of power - wire your LEDs up in series to the +12V rail, with an apporiate resistor, and they will all share the current equally, which should result in nice uniform brightness.

Ok,

It's clear to me now. And with the information everyone has given to me I can sort it out. I will finally be able to get "3 greens" for my landing gear.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back