Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with designing a video switcher for a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theforce

I would first like to say any help with my project would be greatly appreciated. Second I would like to say it has been about 6 years since I have been in an electronics class and most of the stuff I have forgotten. I do know about resisters, AND OR gates, LEDs, switches, and relays. I do know how to solder, how to use a breadboard and how to route traces on a circuit board. There might be some more lingering back in my brain. The only hard part for me is figuring out how to get the thing to work the way I want and thats why I'm here. I would also like to mention that I have electronics workbench so if anyone could help me out with the design in that program that would greatly help me understand whats going on.

Now on to my project. I have a 2006 Toyota Prius. It has a review view camera that is activated when it goes in reverse. This camera can be activated anytime by tapping into the reverse signal. What I would like to do is add a front camera, tap into this signal and switch between front and rear cameras at anytime. I have a schematic of the reverse signal mod and the switch I have for the car. They are below.

This is what I would like the circuit do.
Press button turn on front camera.
Press button turn on rear camera.
Press button cameras off and everything is normal. Car will activate rear camera when backing up like normal.
When the front or rear camera is switched on the circuit will provide power to the indicator LED on the switch.
When turning on the front camera the circuit will provide power to the front camera. ( this is just an idea and not really needed at this point )

This is some snippets from another site about the mod. http://www.evnut.com/prius_mfd_video.htm
The goal for the switch is to selectively jumper the gray wire to the pink wire, and the diode is to keep the reverse lights from turning on. Nothing gets pulled to ground, we're just passing the + signal of the gray wire over to the pink wire to activate the camera and screen. This will activate the rear camera anytime.

ATCMS.jpg

The button I have is the one pictured to the far right. This is an SPST momentary switch.

customeuroipa.jpg

The pins for the switch are...
2-7 Indicator LED
3-6 SPST switch
4-5 LED Rheostat controlled. I have this one covered. There is no need to design for this.

ipaschematic.jpg

I've looked around trying to find a prebuilt switch I could tap into but I have been unsuccessful. I've also looked around on the net to find something to build but still have not found anything. I was planning to use some relays for a simple design but from the looks of it a simple pic controller and a few relays might do the trick but I've never used a pic controller.

I will also need a source for all components used in the circuit along with surface mount RCA and molex connectors for the video and other wiring. The local ratshack wont work for obvious reasons. They might have a few parts but not all.

So can anyone help me? I might even be willing to pay for your time if you design a complete circuit, the price is cheap and I can share the design.

I hope this is enough information. If i'm missing anything or if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back