Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with desiging a 16v to 9v step down regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

o0tsubasa0o

Im new to electronics , i currently have a project that needs me to design a step regulator circuit diagram .

Originally there is a 4 cell battery conntect to a motor for a sumo robot and there is also a 2 cell battery which connects to the micro controller card .

I was given a task to remove the 2 cell battery and use the 4 cell battery to power the motor and the micro controller card .

So i need to design a step down regulator ciruit . 4 cell battery (16V ) that connects to the motor and also to the micro controler card (9 V) by a Traco tsr-1 step down regulator .

**broken link removed**

the top part is the orginal one , while the 2nd part is the one i was ask to design

link for the regulator -> https://www.tracopower.com/fileadmin/medien/dokumente/pdf/datasheets/tsr1.pdf

can anyone help me with the disiging of the circuit and also what diode and capcitor to use ? tthx

Last edited:
Microcontrollers normally require about 5V, so running one at 9V will either kill it, make it unreliable or drastically shorten its life.

The microcontroler card almost certainly has an on-board regulator, check the datasheet for its maximum power supply voltage. If it's under 16V then you need a regulator, but the current consumption will be low so it's probably not worth using an efficient switching regulator, the LM7808 will probably do.

According to the data sheet these units are direct replacements for 78xx series regulators. There is no need for a diode in the circuit, why do you mention a diode?

The data sheet shows a few circuit examples. Since you are working off a battery I would use maybe a 100 uF cap across the input and a .1 uF across the output. Looking up LM78xx circuits should give you some ideas. You really don't need much unless motors on the robot create a large amount of noise.

Ron

<EDIT> Morning Hero :) </EDIT>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back