Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with DC powered LED spinning wheel thingy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

crust848

Hi!

This is my first post on electro tech, and I can't believe what an awesome resource forum this is for electronics !

I'm currently doing my second year in electrical engineering and In my spare time I've started taking up doing electrical circuits and soldering.

I want to start a project but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, and i hope some of the more experienced members of this forum can help me out !

What I am trying to do (for now) is to have a motor spin a gear, and depending on where it stops, light up an LED for that particular segment, as well as a seperate one.

I guess the best way to describe it would be a kind of " game show" spinning prize wheel, where the wheel is controlled by the user, and when it "lands" on a cash amount, the panel will light up, and another panel with the same icon. This is then repeated a few times, but the previous LED's still need to be lit up.

I know it sounds a bit confusing, but any help would be appreciated. I'm a bit new to soldering and all the technical jargon, so a simple method would be easiest for me so long as it performs as required. I'm only focusing on using DC (batteries 9v or less) as I don't want to electrocute myself just yet :p

If you've taken the time to read my post Thank you and thanks for any help you can give me !

Depending on how big the motor and disk is, you could use the same switches they use in alarm systems on doors (magnetic switches). Put a magnet on the spinning disk and place the door switches in a circle around the spinning disk. This method would not work to keep the last LED on while it's spinning though.

Using an LED on the spiining disk and light sensors around the disk to pic up where the disk stopped will also work... then connect all this to a MCU and your set to go. (instead of light sensors you could also use sensors like the ones inside a computer ball mouse... just make one hole in the spinning disk and use allot of sensors.)

I am sure there are other "more proper" ways to do it... google will also have a few ideas for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back