Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

irelax933

For a project in Engineering Design. My group and I are trying to assemble a device to charge your USB compatible cell phone through kinetic energy. In terms of our circuit this (**broken link removed**) is what we are planning to use. The only change we are making is to replace T1( SL100) with a 2N2222A transistor we found in our Electrical Supply cabinet at school. If anyone has any advice or recommendations I would greatly appreciate any insight seeing as I'm pretty new to this.

What are you going to use as a power source to charge the cell phone. Your circuit shows a battery in the circuit. Are going to replace the battery with some type of "kinetic energy" source, if so with what?

Thanks for replying. Our kinetic energy source is a magnet and coil just like the ones used in faraday flashlights. We are getting nearly 2V from that then running through a voltage doubler to the battery.

How much current? Short circuit current like how you measure solar panels.

Last edited:
My personal favorite is the crank generators you find on some flashlights and radio's.
Those can produce some significant power.

The project from India that you found is too old. It might not even work.
It says that a cell phone has an old Ni-Cad battery. But that was many years ago.

A cell phone today uses a Lithium battery that will catch on fire if you charge it with that old charging circuit.

Nicad's in cell phones? Wow that was old.

Take the cell phone charger apart and run the hand crank generator power into the charger circuits power supply side where the transformer was.
Now you have the correct charge control system. If you can get enough power you may need to regulate it with a voltage regulator IC of some sort Like a LM317 adjustable regulator, so you wont over voltage the control circuits if some one is really ambitious when cranking. :)

And you may need a heatsink on the IC. :D

(someone here can get a little snippy about heatsinks when he has not had his nap!) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back