Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NEED HELP WITH AM RECEIVER(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazmatu

Hi -

I'm new here. I am experienced in analog and digital electronics but have never worked with RF to any appreciable degree.

I started playing around with a simple AM detector (crystal) set and find out that I LOVE THIS SUBJECT.

I am having problems, though. I am starting very simple, with AM, to get a "feel" for it, and using normal lab equipment and components. But I am finding RF inductors are "build your own" and variable capacitors that I have never seen, and ganged capacitors, and in many articles there is an implicit assumption that you "just know" stuff as the lingo, matched impedances, etc.

An example might help. I am attempting an extremely crude superhet AM receiver. I have some dual-gate MOSFETs (NTE222). N-channel depletion/enhancement mode. I made two stages, nearly identical.

The first stage I simply used a "wire" coupled through a 100nF cap to Gate 1 with 100k to ground for an antenna. (I also use a function generator to verify amplification.) On Gate 2 I use a function generator for an LO that is also similarly AC-coupled. The source is grounded. On the drain I have a tank with a resonant frequency of around 500kHz (closest I could get to 455).

I can get that resonating fine. I attach the output of that amp to the 2nd stage G1 which I consider to be the IF amp. I fine-tuned the tank on the drain by adding teeny caps because of tolerance differences between "same" Ls and Cs, so get the same resonant frequency. I get a gain of around 5 on each amp. (I put a variable voltage on G2 of the 2nd amp so I can add some oomph if I need it and since I don't know how to "do" AGC yet.)

Then I diode detect and buffer with an op-amp and feed a 386.

I do get reception, but it's really crummy, and it is because I really do not know how to properly design this stuff, and do not know the rudiments of impedance matching an antenna to the FET, and do no pre-selection because I can't do ganged caps because I don't know what they look like, how to attach them. Plus I do the whole thing on a breadboard (please don't laugh heh). I can't wind my own coils. There is no real mentor in this area and the whole thing seems like a dying art.

BUT I LOVE THIS STUFF.

And I want to learn it and build it all, starting at ground zero.

I have the most recent ARRL. I have texts. I'm motivated and not (too) stupid. I have lab equipment.

My question is this. Is there a SEMINAL beginners guide for doing this? I want to build receiver after receiver after receiver. TRF, Superhet, BJT, and FET. Sure would appreciate the help if you know.

One more thing. Would THIS work? I want to use one of these dual gate MOSFETs to simply amplify RF coming in. I have a bunch of 455 ceramic filters. So I'd feed the amplified RF to a ceramic filter, amplify it again, then hit another ceramic, then amplify and listen is my thinking.

But naturally, I would need to tune the thing, impedance match, properly design the MOSFET (and designing MOSFET amps makes me feel dumb anyway due to non-linearity and the wide spec range). I've never used one of these ceramic filters, and I'm sure there are gotchas there.

Please believe I am not asking anyone to do this work for me. But I have been all over the web and find stuff that's either doing far too advanced calc etc, for my purposes - Wiley books etc, or is just plopped in front of my face "do this." I know calc btw. But I want to get at meat and potatoes of practical design and make this a hobby but I'm having real trouble getting started.

Anything you can provide as advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Great that you are interseted in radio, Keep it up!.

The first stage I simply used a "wire" coupled through a 100nF cap to Gate 1 with 100k to ground for an antenna. (I also use a function generator to verify amplification.) On Gate 2 I use a function generator for an LO that is also similarly AC-coupled. The source is grounded. On the drain I have a tank with a resonant frequency of around 500kHz (closest I could get to 455).

Just connecting the antenna into the mixer will result in lots of spurious signals as I am sure that you have seen.
The intermediate frequency does not HAVE TO be 455khz, that is just a conventions with practical advantages.

I can get that resonating fine. I attach the output of that amp to the 2nd stage G1 which I consider to be the IF amp. I fine-tuned the tank on the drain by adding teeny caps because of tolerance differences between "same" Ls and Cs, so get the same resonant frequency. I get a gain of around 5 on each amp. (I put a variable voltage on G2 of the 2nd amp so I can add some oomph if I need it and since I don't know how to "do" AGC yet.)
Two stages with a gain of 5 is pretty poor for an IF amplifier, something between 50 and 100 would be a bit more like it.
Also make sure that the coils really are resonant at the same frequency, just being of by a khz or two can really kill the performance.
Dont get too hung up about AGC just yet, you can always use a manual gain control.

And I want to learn it and build it all, starting at ground zero.

I have the most recent ARRL. I have texts. I'm motivated and not (too) stupid. I have lab equipment.

My question is this. Is there a SEMINAL beginners guide for doing this? I want to build receiver after receiver after receiver. TRF, Superhet, BJT, and FET. Sure would appreciate the help if you know.
The newer ARRL handbooks are not as good as some of the older ones.
If you can find one from 15 or 20 years ago, you may find it better and more informative.
A beginners guide to this stuff? I am sure there is but at the moment I dont know where to guide you, I will have a think about that.

One more thing. Would THIS work? I want to use one of these dual gate MOSFETs to simply amplify RF coming in. I have a bunch of 455 ceramic filters. So I'd feed the amplified RF to a ceramic filter, amplify it again, then hit another ceramic, then amplify and listen is my thinking.
As always the devil is in the detail, but yes, that would work.

Anything you can provide as advice would be greatly appreciated.
I will have a dig around and see what I can find for you.

Plus I do the whole thing on a breadboard (please don't laugh heh).
I reserve the right to laugh like a drain!
Have a read at this:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/a-dog-tracker.278/

JimB

Last edited:
For circuits of simple (ish) radios, have a look here:

particularly here:

And here:

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips