Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a wireless relay system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heresy

I have been looking into using FCTN-RLY4-*** wireless relay modules that Linx sells that operate on the 433MHz band to activate some lights that will be used for a school project that I am doing. Basically, the project consists of 4 seperate boxes with a number of incandescent lights in them that are supposed to turn on and off wirelessly. The boxes have to be movable over a ~75ft range (which keeps me from using a simple wired relay system or anything but batteries) and are all meant to simultaneously turn on/off.

My thought was that the modules Linx sells would be the best bet, but I have some concerns. The first is that I am not familiar with exactly how line-of-sight the 433MHz band is and how well the signals pass through solid objects such as 3/4" plywood. I can find datasheets on transceivers that use the frequency range but nothing detailing the nuances of it.

Second, the module I am looking at is uses simple DIP switch interface between transmitter and receiver without a negative feedback loop. This is the reason I like them since all 4 boxes could be controlled with one controller. Is this thinking correct or am I missing something?

Third, I have not found any real reviews or opinions on the modules or Linx as a company. A big part of this project is reliability since this project will be used as part of a perfomance piece that will have to be done everyday for a month. How good are Linx products for continuous use applications and has anyone had trouble with their stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back