Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help with a Timing Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb043

I need a controler for a solenoid with a variable ON time of 20 seconds to 2 min. or so, and an OFF time of 30 seconds to 5 min. The supply voltage can be 5 to 24 volts AC or DC. The load is a relay, less than .5 watts. The simpler the better! Thanks

a 555 wil do the trick.

Attachments

• interval_timer_555.gif
    interval_timer_555.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 403
Thanks so much! I'll have to do some studying, but I think it will work out well.
Thanks again, Gary

I wouldn't take a 555 to such huge time periods! Not that the 555 won't work, but you're depending on the capacitance and leakage of an electrolytic for accuracy.

To charge a 220uF from 1/3 Vdd to 2/3 Vdd over 2 min with Vdd=5V means the charging current averages around 3 uA, if I got the calc correct. But, pulling an electrolytic cap spec randomly off of digikey shows a leakage of 8.8 uA. Since the cap's leakage is unpredictable, varying by lot, voltage, age, and temperature, reliable operation seems quite dicey. The timing period could vary a lot, and it's possible that charging current could equal leakage and the time period is infinite.

For time periods like this, you can use a 555 with a more reasonable (shorter) time period going through a counter. But really, a PIC may seem to be complicated but realistically it's probably the best solution and is physically quite simple, although learning to use them has a considerable learning effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back