Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with a time delay cirsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

macgyvr

i have done some research and know that you can use a 555 timer for a time delay circuit with a switch to start it. what i am needing is a time delay that requires you to hold down the switch for say 30 seconds to start another timing circuit that goes for say 10 mins which then can be terminated by another delay circuit as the first. hope that's not confusing

would a micro controller be needed

hi,
Your project could be built using 555' and some logic IC's.

If you have the resources to write a program, which you could then program into a PIC, that would be my choice.

Never messed with PIC's but can program any suggestions on what chip to use?

Hi,
Although I do not use it, I would expect the PicAxe series with an inbuilt interpreter would do what you are asking.

Last edited:
Hi,
Although I do not use it, I would expect the PicAxe series with an inbuilt compiler would do what you are asking.

It's not a compiler Eric, it's an interpreter - so runs fairly slowly, compared with actual PIC code - but fast enough for many purposes, and plenty fast enough for a simple application like this one. They are also extremely cheap and easy to use, mainly aimed at school kids really.

**broken link removed**
2 MINUTE TIMER The relay is energized for a short time, 2 minutes after the push-button is pressed. The push-button produces a brief LOW on pin 1, no matter how long it is pushed and this produces a pulse of constant length via the three components between pin 2 and 3.
This pulse is long enough to fully discharge the 100u timing electrolytic on pin 5.
The 100k and electrolytic between pins 6 and 9 are designed to produce a brief pulse to energize the relay.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**
OUTPUT AFTER 2 MINUTES
Here is another very similar circuit. Use either the active HIGH or Active LOW switch and if the Active LOW switch is used, do not connect the parts or gate between pins 1 and 2 to the rest of the circuit.

You just need to modify and combine the two circuits to get what you want.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**
2 MINUTE TIMER The relay is energized for a short time, 2 minutes after the push-button is pressed. The push-button produces a brief LOW on pin 1, no matter how long it is pushed and this produces a pulse of constant length via the three components between pin 2 and 3.
This pulse is long enough to fully discharge the 100u timing electrolytic on pin 5.
The 100k and electrolytic between pins 6 and 9 are designed to produce a brief pulse to energize the relay.

**broken link removed**
OUTPUT AFTER 2 MINUTES
Here is another very similar circuit. Use either the active HIGH or Active LOW switch and if the Active LOW switch is used, do not connect the parts or gate between pins 1 and 2 to the rest of the circuit.

You just need to modify and combine the two circuits to get what you want.

is this done with a 555 timer?

and i need the push button held down for 30 seconds and if released the 30 seconds starts over so the button has to be held for 30 seconds and then i starts like a 5 min timer that sets off a buzzer siren after the five minutes or by holding a second push button for 30 seconds its terminated and resets the whole thing im thinkin a PiC is what i need but if it can be done with a 555 timer or a 556 timer that would be better

Here is the circuit you require:
30SecTimer.gif

Last edited:
Here is the circuit you require:
View attachment 56654

what chip is this with 555,556, something else?

never mind chip is a 74c14 i need to pay closer attention to things

and i understand most of the symbols in your diagram but a few i have never seen any way you could make me a legend so i could understand the circuit a little better i would greatly appreciate it :)

would this be the same thing?
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back